UH/HCC Engineering Partnership
UH/HCC Engineering Academy at Katy
* Application Form - Apply Now!
The University of Houston (UH) is proud to introduce its first Engineering Academy program, in partnership with Houston Community College (HCC), to the Greater Katy area!
Most transition programs require that students apply for admission to UH upon completing all academic requirements at the partner institution. The UH/HCC Engineering Academy is different in that students are co-enrolled at both institutions from the moment they are accepted into the academy. UH/HCC Engineering Academy students are official UH Engineering Cougars from the very first day!
Students take their STEM and Core curriculum courses through HCC while taking engineering courses from UH Cullen College of Engineering faculty at the University of Houston at Katy.
After completing all Academy requirements, students then transition to the UH main campus to complete their bachelor’s degrees in Civil, Electrical, Computer, Industrial or Mechanical Engineering. Academy requirements are designed to be completed in one or two years.
In addition, UH/HCC Engineering Academy students will have access to 3 new engineering degrees that can be completed at UH at Katy: Systems Engineering, Computer Engineering & Analytics, and Construction Engineering - “Start in Katy – Finish in Katy”.
Application Form and program details
UH/HCC Engineering Academy Application
Reminders when using the Online Application:
- Students applying for admission to the UH/HCC Engineering Academy at Katy must first complete the Apply Texas application for HCC and UH to secure a student ID for both institutions in order to complete the UH/HCC Engineering Academy application: https://www.applytexas.org/adappc/gen/c_start.WBX
- An additional application fee payable to the University of Houston may be charged to students seeking consideration of co-enrollment through the UH/HCC Engineering Academy.
- Recommended browser: Please use updated common browsers such as Google Chrome, Firefox, Safari, enabled with updated Flash plug-in.
- To prevent data loss, please "Save" frequently. "Save and Exit" would allow you to return to your SAVED application form through email. Do not use browser "Back" button nor refresh your screen during your application data entry, which may also lead to data loss.
- You may verify your application status through the email notifications which will be sent to the email address you specify in this application. It is the applicant's responsibility to enter a valid email address and to check the email frequently to ensure effective communication throughout the various stages of the application process.
- After submission, always have your application link available when checking your online application status or updating the information. The link will be forwarded to your preferred email address.
- For the technical issues, contact IT Service Desk through 713-718-8800, or email: firstname.lastname@example.org.
- For applicant questions regarding the UH/HCC Engineering Academy at Katy: email@example.com
- All attachments must be PDF documents. Do not submit documents in JPEG format.
Admissions Application Process Workflow Overview:
Who can apply?
The UH/HCC Engineering Academy program is the only one of its kind to offer two points of entry:
- High School graduates and current college-level students may apply through the UH/HCC Engineering Academy Application.
- Students who have been newly admitted to UH for Fall 2020 and would like to pursue an alternate degree path for a four-year engineering degree may also choose to apply to the Engineering Academy through the UH/HCC Engineering Academy Application
Benefits of the UH/HCC Engineering Academy
There are many advantages for students enrolled in the UH/HCC Engineering Academy, including:
- Co-enrollment at UH and HCC. The following courses will be taken at each partner institution:
- All engineering courses will be led by UH faculty and taken at UH at Katy.
- HCC faculty will lead all math, science and other core curriculum courses at the HCC Katy campus;
- Access to student services, activities and organizations at both institutions, including resources and amenities at the University of Houston main campus, which is just a 30-minute drive from the University of Houston at Katy;
- Smaller class sizes for all cohort math and science courses. Student-faculty ratios are purposely kept low to allow for more individualized educational support and a better chance at success;
- Significantly lower tuition and fees. - Save from $11,000- $35,000! Students pay per course and are charged by the institution through which it is offered.
- Engineering Academy students who earn a minimum 3.25 cumulative grade point average (CGPA) at both HCC and UH and fulfill the required coursework will be automatically admitted to their first-choice engineering major upon completion of the academy, typically at the end of their second year.
- Students that apply early and are approved will have the benefit of enrolling early in cohort classes when the fall 2020 enrollment begins.
The Ideal Academy Candidate
- Student is ready for PreCalculus (MATH 2412) or Calculus I (MATH 2413) and Chemistry I (CHEM 1311).
- Student is admissible to both UH and HCC: UH Admissions criteria: http://www.uh.edu/admissions/
- If currently in college, student has a cumulative college GPA of 3.0 or higher. GPA will include repeat courses.
- Student has a flexible schedule for cohort classes, which are defined as math, science, and engineering. Cohort classes are taught at the HCC Katy Campus and the UH Katy campuses at pre-determined times.
- Student is committed to a rigorous academic schedule including at least one math, one science, and one engineering course each long semester.
- Student does not have a Bachelor’s degree or higher.
- Student is not a former UH student.
- Student is interested in earning a 4-year degree in Civil, Electrical, Computer, Industrial or Mechanical Engineering.
- Start in Katy – Finish in Katy! UH is offering 3 new engineering degrees that can be completed at UH at Katy: Systems Engineering, Computer Engineering & Analytics, and Construction Engineering.
Frequently Asked Questions
UH Admission Requirements/Minimum Test Scores
|Admission Type||Rank in Class||SAT||or ACT|
|Assured Admission||Top 10%||No Minimum||No Minimum|
|Assured Admission||Top 11%-25%||1080||21|
|Assured Admission||Top 26%-50%||1170||24|
Tuition and Fees: In-District verses Out-of-District:
Residents of the Houston Community College service area (Houston ISD, Stafford MSD, part of Missouri City, Alief and North Forest ISD) are considered In-District for fee purposes if they meet the basic residency requirements. These areas are in the taxing district for HCC. All other areas that are not in the HCC taxing district are considered Out-of-District.
Academy Cost Analysis: Tuition Breakdown for 2-year Academy degree plan
- HCC In-District/UH Resident: $13,136.87
- HCC Out-of-District/UH Resident: $17,648.87
- UH In-State Full Time: $28,287.18
- HCC Out-of-State/UH Non-Resident: $29,267.37
- UH Out-of-State Full Time Tuition: $62,739.18
- HCC Website: https://www.hccs.edu/applying-and-paying/tuition-calculator/
- UH Website: https://www.uh.edu/financial/undergraduate/tuition-fees/
- Tuition and fees are subject to change and vary depending on the department, residence status, graduate level, and courses enrolled.
- Be sure to check college fees and course fees in addition to basic tuition and University fees.
- Additional fees, such as parking, are not included on the schedule of charges.
- Lab fees and books are not calculated as they vary by course and location.
Scholarships: In order to maximize your financial opportunities, all UH/HCC Engineering Academy students are encouraged to apply for the HCC Foundation Scholarship: https://www.hccsfoundation.org/annualscholarship
Applications are open now and are awarded as students apply.
The online application takes approximately 30 minutes to complete. The scholarship application is composed of sections requesting personal, academic and financial information. Although there are numerous types of scholarship programs available, you will only need to complete one application.
Will my scholarship apply to the Academy? The majority of the Private sector (WalMart, Target, Church, etc.,) scholarships may be used at any college, university, or post-secondary higher education institution. Since Houston Community College is the "host" institution, please contact the funding organization to transfer the funds to HCC: https://www.hccs.edu/applying-and-paying/financial-aid/scholarships/
* Note: Most UH scholarships will not apply to Academy tuition until students transition out of the Academy into the third year of the desired UH program.
Financial Aid: https://www.hccs.edu/applying-and-paying/financial-aid/
- Please visit http://www.fafsa.gov20 to complete a Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) using HCC's School Code (010422). The information you provide determines whether you qualify for federal and state grants and for federal loans.
- FALL 2020-2021 FINANCIAL AID: If you plan to attend HCC during Fall 2020, Spring 2021 and/or Summer 2021, you need to fill out the 2020–2021 FAFSA form using your 2018 tax information.
- After you apply for financial aid, you will receive a communication email that will notify you that HCC has received your application along with other instructions, such as additional documentation required. Your HCC Financial Aid Advisor will assist you in processing your eligible funding.
- Students applying for admission to HCC will complete the Apply Texas application for HCC and UH and also complete the UH/HCC Engineering Academy application.
- Continuing students at HCC who wish to participate in the UH/HCC Engineering Academy will complete the Apply Texas application for UH and also complete the UH/HCC Engineering Academy application.
- An additional application fee payable to the University of Houston may be charged.
- HCC and UH will review all UH/HCC Engineering Academy applications submitted by students who apply for admission through HCC. Students accepted by UH and recommended by the Cullen College of Engineering for application to the UH/HCC Engineering Academy will automatically qualify for the UH/HCC Engineering Academy upon submitting the UH/HCC Engineering Academy application.
What documents are required to complete the Academy application?
- ACT or SAT Scores - if First Time In College or with less than 15 hours of college credit
- High School and/or College Transcripts: Provide a copy of all transcripts which outline all grades and courses earned.
- Letter of Acceptance from the University of Houston
- Additional information may be requested if needed for clarification.
Transcripts & Test Scores:
If transcripts cannot be uploaded with the application, you may request that transcripts be submitted to HCC electronically. HCC accepts PDF transcripts directly from the service providers such as Credentials, Parchment, and National Student Clearinghouse. The email should be sent to firstname.lastname@example.org
- Test scores: https://www.hccs.edu/resources-for/current-students/testing-services/
- Who has to take the TSI? https://www.hccs.edu/departments/division-of-instructional-services/hcc-texas-success-initiative-assessment/frequently-asked-questions/
- Application Process/documents required for HCC: https://www.hccs.edu/applying-and-paying/
International Students: https://www.hccs.edu/support-services/international-students/
For more information, Email: email@example.com
Academy Advisor: Omer Bashir – Omer.Bashir2@hccs.edu
Students planning to pursue their engineering degree at the University of Houston’s Cullen College of Engineering can also complete the first two years of their four-year engineering degree at Houston Community College. The HCC Associate of Science in Engineering Science (ASES) degree can be tailored to maximize the number of courses transferable to the Engineering degree programs. By so doing, students can cut the cost of their engineering degree in half. Every year, a large number of HCC students transfer into the UH Engineering program.
HCC ASES Degree: https://www.hccs.edu/finder/programs/associate-of-science-in-engineering-science--hybrid-option/