UH/HCC Engineering Partnership
UH/HCC Engineering Academy at Katy Information Session
Thursday, February 20, 7:00 p.m. -8:00 p.m.
University of Houston at Katy - 22400 Grand Circle, Katy, TX 77449
UH/HCC Engineering Academy at Katy
The University of Houston (UH) is proud to introduce its first Engineering Academy program, in partnership with Houston Community College (HCC), to the Greater Katy area!
Most transition programs require that students apply for admission to UH upon completing all academic requirements at the partner institution. The UH/HCC Engineering Academy is different in that students are co-enrolled at both institutions from the moment they are accepted into the academy. UH/HCC Engineering Academy students are official UH Engineering Cougars from the very first day!
Students take their core curriculum courses through HCC while taking engineering courses from UH Cullen College of Engineering faculty at the University of Houston at Katy.
After completing all academy requirements, students then transition to the UH main campus to complete their bachelor’s degrees in civil, electrical, computer, industrial or mechanical engineering. Academy requirements are designed to be completed in one or two years.
Reminders when using the Online Application:
- Students applying for admission to the UH/HCC Engineering Academy at Katy must first complete the Apply Texas application for HCC and UH to secure a student ID for both institutions in order to complete the UH/HCC Engineering Academy application: https://www.applytexas.org/adappc/gen/c_start.WBX
- An additional application fee payable to the University of Houston may be charged to students seeking consideration of co-enrollment through the UH/HCC Engineering Academy.
- Recommended browser: Please use updated common browsers such as Google Chrome, Firefox, Safari, enabled with updated Flash plug-in.
- To prevent data loss, please "Save" frequently. "Save and Exit" would allow you to return to your SAVED application form through email. Do not use browser "Back" button nor refresh your screen during your application data entry, which may also lead to data loss.
- You may verify your application status through the email notifications which will be sent to the email address you specify in this application. It is the applicant's responsibility to enter a valid email address and to check the email frequently to ensure effective communication throughout the various stages of the application process.
- After submission, always have your application link available when checking your online application status or updating the information. The link will be forwarded to your preferred email address.
- For the technical issues, contact IT Service Desk through 713-718-8800, or email: email@example.com.
- For applicant questions regarding the UH/HCC Engineering Academy at Katy: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Admissions Application Process Workflow Overview:
Who can apply?
The UH/HCC Engineering Academy program is the only one of its kind to offer two points of entry:
- High School graduates and current college-level students may apply through the UH/HCC Engineering Academy Application.
- Students who have been newly admitted to UH for Fall 2020 and would like to pursue an alternate degree path for a four-year engineering degree may also choose to apply to the Engineering Academy through the UH/HCC Engineering Academy Application
Why should I apply for the UH/HCC Engineering Academy?
There are many advantages for students enrolled in the UH/HCC Engineering Academy, including:
- Co-enrollment at UH and HCC. The following courses will be taken at each partner institution:
- All engineering courses will be led by UH faculty and taken at UH at Katy.
- HCC faculty will lead all math, science and other core curriculum courses at the HCC Katy campus;
- Access to student services, activities and organizations at both institutions, including resources and amenities at the University of Houston main campus, which is just a 30-minute drive from the University of Houston at Katy;
- Smaller class sizes for all cohort math and science courses. Student-faculty ratios are purposely kept low to allow for more individualized educational support and a better chance at success;
- Significantly lower tuition and fees. Students pay per course and are charged by the institution through which it is offered.
- Engineering Academy students who earn a minimum 3.25 cumulative grade point average (CGPA) at both HCC and UH and fulfill the required coursework will be automatically admitted to their first-choice engineering major upon completion of the academy, typically at the end of their second year.
- Students that apply early and are approved will have the benefit of enrolling early in cohort classes when the fall 2020 enrollment begins.
Characteristics of an Ideal Academy Candidate:
- Student is ready for Calculus I (MATH 2413) and Chemistry I (CHEM 1311).
- Student is admissible to both UH and HCC: UH Admissions criteria: http://www.uh.edu/admissions/
- If currently in college, student has a cumulative college GPA of 3.0 or higher. GPA will include repeat courses.
- Student has a flexible schedule for cohort classes, which are defined as math, science, and engineering. Cohort classes are taught at the HCC Katy Campus and the UH Katy campuses at various times.
- Student is committed to a rigorous academic schedule including at least one math, one science, and one engineering course each long semester.
- Student does not have a Bachelor’s degree or higher.
- Student is not a former UH student.
- Student is interested in earning a 4-year degree in civil, electrical, computer, industrial or mechanical engineering
Students planning to pursue their engineering degree at the University of Houston’s Cullen College of Engineering can also complete the first two years of their four-year engineering degree at Houston Community College. The HCC Associate of Science in Engineering Science (ASES) degree can be tailored to maximize the number of courses transferable to the Engineering degree programs. By so doing, students can cut the cost of their engineering degree in half. Every year, a large number of HCC students transfer into the UH Engineering program.
HCC ASES Degree: https://www.hccs.edu/finder/programs/associate-of-science-in-engineering-science--hybrid-option/