Apply for Financial Aid
Financial Aid at Houston Community College
To apply for financial aid, complete a Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA). The information you provide determines whether you qualify for federal and state grants and federal loans based on financial need.
You must apply for admission to Houston Community College before the college can review your FAFSA information. Review eligibility requirements for further information about qualifying for aid.
Completing the FAFSA
Information Needed to Complete the FAFSA
- Your Social Security Number
- Your Alien Registration Number (if you are not a U.S. citizen)
- Your federal income tax returns, W-2s, and other records of money earned.
You’ll be required to report income and tax info from an earlier tax year. For example, on the 2017–18 FAFSA, you—and your parent(s), as appropriate—will report your 2015 income and tax info, rather than your 2016 income and tax info. From now on, the FAFSA will ask for older income and tax information that you will already have. This change means you won’t have to use estimates anymore, or log in later to update your FAFSA after you file taxes.
(Note: You may be able to transfer your federal tax return information into your FAFSA using the IRS Data Retrieval Tool.)
- Bank statements and records of investments (if applicable)
- Records of untaxed income (if applicable)
- Houston Community College's school code — 010422
- A Federal Student Aid FSA ID to sign electronically. Watch video on how to create a FSA ID by clicking here.
If you are a dependent student, you will also need most of the above information for your parent(s).
If you need one-on-one assistance with completing your FAFSA, please feel free to visit one of Houston Community College’s financial aid offices located at various campuses around Houston. Click to view locations.
- HCC FAFSA Workshops (check calendar for upcoming dates)
- Financial Aid Video Tutorials (click to search videos)
After filling out the FAFSA
- After online submission, a confirmation page will provide instructions and valuable information.
- A Student Aid Report is available 2 - 5 days after submission. Review for accuracy.
- Houston Community College will automatically receive the results as long as the school code 010422 was included in the school listing.
Students can log into myHCC to:
- Activate the student HCC email account. All notices, status updates and announcements will be sent to the HCC email account.
- Review required documentation on the "To Do List" located on the upper right hand side of the home page.
- View their financial aid status.