Apply for Financial Aid
Before You Apply for Financial Aid
FEDERAL FINANCIAL AID
- REVIEW ELIGIBILITY REQUIREMENTS: Review eligibility requirements for further information about qualifying for federal financial aid.
- SUBMIT FREE APPLICATION FOR FEDERAL STUDENT AID (FAFSA) FOR CORRECT AID YEAR:
- 2022-2023 FINANCIAL AID: If you plan to attend HCC during Fall 2022, Spring 2023 and/or Summer 2023, you need to fill out the 2022–23 FAFSA form using 2020 tax info.
- 2023-2024 FINANCIAL AID: If you plan to attend HCC during Fall 2023, Spring 2024 and/or Summer 2024, you need to fill out the 2023–24 FAFSA form using 2021 tax info.
- FILE EARLY: Students are encouraged to file their FAFSA application as early as possible. Take a look at HCC's FAFSA Guide. This guide includes tips and information to those completing their FAFSA applications.
- SUBMIT ADMISSIONS APPLICATION: We cannot begin to process your FAFSA without an admissions application on file. Please make sure you submit an admissions application prior to completing FAFSA. Click here to learn about admissions and enrollment steps.
- DATA RETRIEVAL TOOL: When possible, please utilize the Data Retrieval Tool to import tax return information into the FAFSA.
- USE HCC'S SCHOOL CODE: Please use HCC's School Code (010422) when filling out the FAFSA. We will not receive your application unless you use the school's code.
- You may see a note on your Student Aid Report saying you’ve been selected for verification or you may receive an email from the Financial Aid Office. Verification is the process schools use to confirm that the information reported on your FAFSA form is accurate. Click here to learn more.
- The Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act (FERPA) is a Federal law that protects the privacy of student education records. Should your family members have questions regarding your financial aid, you must complete a FERPA release form to authorize the release of your Houston Community College record. Click here to learn more.
STUDENTS WITHOUT A SOCIAL SECURITY NUMBER
Undocumented students who are eligible for state financial aid funds should complete the Texas Application For State Financial Aid (TASFA) to request state funds, not the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA). For more information, please visit our "Undocumented Students – TASFA" webpage.
Step 1: Apply for Financial Aid
FEDERAL FINANCIAL AID
Click the link to complete a Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) using HCC's School Code (010422). The information you provide determines whether you qualify for federal and state grants, and federal loans.
FALL 2022-2023 FINANCIAL AID: If you plan to attend HCC during Fall 2022, Spring 2023 and/or Summer 2023, you need to fill out the 2022–23 FAFSA form using 2020 tax info.
FALL 2023-2024 FINANCIAL AID: If you plan to attend HCC during Fall 2023, Spring 2024 and/or Summer 2024, you need to fill out the 2023–24 FAFSA form using 2021 tax info.
- Take a look at HCC's FAFSA Guide. This guide includes tips and information to those completing their FAFSA applications.
Have you experienced loss in income since 2020? If so, you may be eligible for more financial aid. Click here for more information.
STATE AID FOR UNDOCUMENTED STUDENTS
Students that do not qualify for federal financial aid through the FAFSA application have the option to complete the Texas Application for State Financial Aid (TASFA) to be evaluated and considered for Texas state and HCC institutional financial aid programs.
Step 2: While You Wait for Financial Aid Award
Students can log into myHCC to:
- Activate the student HCC email account. All notices, status updates and announcements will be sent to the HCC email account and preferred email address you provided on the FAFSA.
- Submit required documentation To view your Financial Aid To-do List, please visit HCC MyEagle https://myeagle.hccs.edu; select ‘Student Sign-in’ tile/box; select the “Checklist” box/tile; and then select “Financial Aid” on the left-hand menu. Your To-do list will outline all the additional documentation needed to process your FAFSA.
Step 3: Review Financial Aid Award Requirements and Enroll
Review the “After the Award” resource page with enrollment details; steps to accept or decline aid; and information about requirements for all types of aid.
Step 4: Payment Plan for Balances Not Covered by Financial Aid
If you do not have enough financial aid to cover costs of classes, you will have to make arrangements with the Business Office to pay for the remaining balance. For more information about payment plans, please click here.
Step 5: Disbursement (Payment for Classes) and Refunds
The system will show that you owe money for classes because your financial aid has not disbursed.
Disbursement means that all eligible financial aid funds will be posted to your account as a payment for classes. Once a disbursement of your financial aid is posted as payment for your classes, any aid leftover will be refunded to you within 48 – 72 hours (2-3 business days).
Students will begin to receive disbursement and refunds when they attend classes (all classes, including late start) for at least 5 to 6 weeks.
Click here for more information.
Types of Aid
The amounts and types of financial aid you receive are determined through federal, state and institutional guidelines. Most federal financial aid is based on financial need.
- Grants are awarded through federal, state and institutional sources and are generally based on financial need. Grants are "gift" assistance and do not need to be repaid
- Scholarships are provided through the HCC Foundation, corporations, private donors and the college. Scholarships are "gift" assistance and do not need to be repaid.
- Path to Profession Program (Work-Study) student employment is offered through the college. Student employees work on or off-campus and are paid an hourly rate for work performed.
- Federal student loans are offered at low-interest rates and can be repaid over an extended period of time, generally after the student is no longer enrolled at least half-time (6 or more credits).
Financial aid will verify eligibility based on the information provided on your Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA), the first step in applying for financial aid.
Buy Books with Financial Aid
The authorization of financial aid funds for the SUMMER 2023 semester will run on Friday, MAY 26TH, 2023. The authorized funds will show as anticipated aid which will be used to cover tuition, books, and fees.
The anticipated status will prevent the student from being dropped from their classes (as long as it covers the total amount of tuition/fees). Students will be able to use anticipated financial aid to purchase books/supplies at the bookstore from Friday, May 26th until Tuesday, July 25th, 2023.
2 Options for Using Financial Aid to Purchase Books and Supplies
USE FINANCIAL AID IN COLLEGE BOOKSTORE
Financial aid grants and loans may be available to assist with books and supplies in the College Bookstore. Your "anticipated" aid is a "Bookstore Credit" that is available for you to use when purchasing books/supplies at College Bookstore. Once your Bookstore Credit is ready to use in the bookstore, you will receive an email with details and next steps.
- GRANTS: When you have grant funds leftover after tuition and fees, your financial aid is available to assist with purchasing books approximately ten days before the start of classes.
- LOANS: When you have loan funds leftover after tuition and fees, your loans are available to assist with purchasing books beginning on the second day of classes and only if you completed all loan requirements (enrollment and attendance in 6 or more credits, completed loan promissory note and completed entrance loan counseling).
- STEPS TO PAY WITH FINANCIAL AID
- Go to the HCC Bookstore Website www.hccs.bncollege.com.
- Select Central Campus from the drop-down menu.
- Select textbooks.
- Select term.
- Enter your course information.
- View your book selection.
- Go to the checkout cart.
- Choose SFA (student financial aid) for method of payment.
OPT-OUT OPTION | PURCHASE CLASS BOOKS AND SUPPLIES OUTSIDE COLLEGE BOOKSTORE
If you would like to request your federal financial aid funds (grants or loans) in advance to purchase your books and supplies outside of the college bookstore, an OPT-OUT option will be available during the dedicated two-week opt-out period dates below. If you qualify for this option, you will receive an email with details and next steps.
- Fall Semester | July 15-30
- Spring Semester | December 1 - 15
- Summer Semester | April 15 -30
IMPORTANT: If you choose this option, you will not be able to use financial aid bookstore credit at the college bookstore, at any point in the semester
STEPS TO REQUEST
- Use a computer (not mobile device) to visit the Student Homepage via www.myeagle.hccs.edu and select “Student Sign-In” tile/box.
- Select the “Financial Aid” tile/box.
- Select “Books” link.
- Select “Book Advance Refunds” link.
- Click the “Opt-out from Bookstore” checkbox and SAVE the page.
WHAT HAPPENS AFTER YOU REQUEST TO PURCHASE BOOKS OUTSIDE OF BOOKSTORE
- If you choose to opt-out of using your financial aid at the college bookstore, you will not be able to use financial aid at any point in the semester at the college bookstore.
- Advanced funds for books and supplies will only be available if you selected the opt-out option in self-service during the dedicated two-week opt-out period dates above.
- The amount calculated will be based on enrollment status (number of credit hours) 14 days before the summer semester classes begin. Any changes to enrollment status or class schedule after that point will not be taken into consideration.
Bookstore Shipping, Price Matching and Which Books to Buy
The HCC Bookstore is open and ready to serve you online at www.shophccbookstore.com.
Free Shipping Over $49
Textbooks and other materials are available for online purchase and home delivery through the HCC Bookstore: www.shophccbookstore.com. The HCC Bookstore is offering free ground shipping for orders over $49. Use the course and section # information from your course schedule to search for books available for purchase or rental. You may also wait until the first day of class so that your professor can share all options for course materials.
The HCC Bookstore will Price match BN.com and Amazon.com. To do this, titles must be an ISBN match, be in stock and be owned and shipped by BN.com or Amazon.com.
Finding What You Need
If you are unsure about what you need, you can use the "buy my books" button on the right side of the course registration page. This link will allow your class schedule to open in our website and will show you all of your options.
You can also find class specific information by following our new Canvas link. For course specific information, follow the Canvas link from your professor to our webpage.
Download App and Deals
Once you have placed an order, you can follow your order using our mobile app, by pasting the links below in your browser. New installs will also get a coupon good for 25% off one imprinted item at your campus store.
- https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/my-college-bookstore-barnes/id909434792?ls=1&mt=8 (ITunes)
- https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.fueled.bnc (Google)
Steps to Pay with Online Voucher in Bookstore | VA + Texas Workforce + Baker Ripley Students
- Go to the HCC Bookstore Website www.hccs.bncollege.com
- Select Central Campus from the drop-down menu
- Select textbooks
- Select term
- Enter your course information
- View your book selection
- Go to the checkout cart
- Choose SFA (student financial aid) for method of payment and the appropriate methods:
- Veteran Affair Students: Must enter a Tungsten authorization number for the student ID
- Baker Ripley Students: Must enter a GZ or GD and number for the student ID
- Texas Work Force Students: Enter your Service authorization number for the student ID
- Enter your shipping information
- Choose home ship
- Complete your order
- Email us your Order Number firstname.lastname@example.org. Please note the Order Number in the Subject Line, we will be in touch with further instructions.
Options for Free and Discounted Wifi and Technology
If you plan to use your financial aid to purchases wifi or technology for courses, please visit our Tech Resource Page for information on free and discounted options for students.
Financial Aid Contact Center
We at HCC Financial Aid are here to help you with your questions and concerns. Please visit our Contact Page to view the most current contact methods, hours, and annoucements.