Apply for Financial Aid
Before You Apply for Financial Aid
- REVIEW ELIGIBILITY REQUIREMENTS: Review eligibility requirements for further information about qualifying for federal financial aid.
- FILE EARLY: Students are encouraged to file their FAFSA application as early as possible. View www.hccs.edu/earlyfafsa for FAFSA's opening dates.
- SUBMIT FAFSA FOR CORRECT AID YEAR: If you plan to attend HCC during Fall 2019, Spring 2020 and/or Summer 2020, you need to fill out the 2019–20 FAFSA form using 2017 tax info.
- SUBMIT ADMISSIONS APPLICATION: We cannot begin to process your FAFSA without an admissions application on file. Please make sure you submit an admissions application prior to completing FAFSA.
- DATA RETRIEVAL TOOL: When possible, please utilize the Data Retrieval Tool to import tax return information into the FAFSA.
- USE HCC'S SCHOOL CODE: Please use HCC's School Code (010422) when filling out the FAFSA. We will not receive your application unless you use the school's code.
- TWO WAYS TO FILL OUT THE FAFSA: Once you’re ready, you have several ways to complete the FAFSA form, including the fafsa.gov website or the new myStudentAid mobile app. Using the app, you can fill out the FAFSA form safely and securely from your mobile device. On the app, you can also manage your FSA ID, view your federal student aid history and loan information, and more. The myStudentAid app is available from both the Apple App Store (iOS) and Google Play (Android).
STATE AID FOR UNDOCUMENTED STUDENTS
Undocumented students who are eligible for state financial aid funds should complete the TASFA to request state funds. For more information, please visit our "Undocumented Students – TASFA" webpage.
Step 1: Apply for Financial Aid
FEDERAL FINANCIAL AID
Please visit www.fafsa.gov to complete a Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) using HCC's School Code (010422). The information you provide determines whether you qualify for federal and state grants, and federal loans.
- FALL 2019-2020 FINANCIAL AID: If you plan to attend HCC during Fall 2019, Spring 2020 and/or Summer 2020, you need to fill out the 2019–20 FAFSA form using 2017 tax info.
STATE AID FOR UNDOCUMENTED STUDENTS
Undocumented students who are eligible for state financial aid funds should complete the Texas Application For State Financial Aid (TASFA) to request state funds. For more information, please visit our "Undocumented Students – TASFA" webpage.
Step 2: While You Wait for Financial Aid Award
Students can log into myHCC to:
- Activate the student HCC email account. All notices, status updates and announcements will be sent to the HCC email account and preferrerd email address you provided on the FAFSA.
- Submit required documentation on the "To Do List" located on the upper right hand side of the home page.
Step 3: Accept/Decline Financial Aid Award
Each semester, you will receive email communications from HCC and BankMobile about the status of your financial aid award.
Once you receive a financial aid award email notification, you will have to:
- Accept or Decline student loan and Work-Study offers — grants are automatically accepted.
- Complete loan requirements. Without completing loan requirements, your loans will not disburse or refund.
Step 4: Payment Plan for Balances Not Covered by Financial Aid
If you do not have enough financial aid to cover costs of classes, you will have to make arrangements with the Business Office to pay for remaining balance. For more information about payment plans, please click here.
Step 5: Disbursement and Refunds
Financial aid funds are not released to students until they are earned. You earn financial aid funds by successfully attending classes for a period of time. Students will begin to receive excess aid funds when they attend classes (all classes, including late start) for at least 5 to 6 weeks .
Disbursement means that all eligible financial aid funds will be posted to your account as a payment for classes. Once a disbursement of your financial aid is posted as payment for your classes, any aid leftover will be refunded to you within 48 – 72 hours (2-3 business days).
Click here for more information.