TRIO Educational Opportunity Center
The Center for Achieving a College Education (CACE) is a federal TRIO program that provides information regarding available financial and academic assistance to qualified adults who want to enter or continue to pursue a program of post-secondary education; to provide assistance to those individuals in applying for admission to institutions at which a program of post-secondary education is offered, including preparing necessary applications for use by admissions and financial aid officers; and to assist in improving the economic literacy of program participants. If you are interested in participating in the program and think you may be eligible, please submit an application below.
The mission of the Houston Community College Center for Achieving a College Education (CACE) program is to provide low-income, high-risk, and first-generation adult learners comprehensive individualized educational supports and guidance to continue their education by empowering them to achieve their educational and career goals. CACE services are designed to assist individuals in reaching their goals by offering a variety of services to support prospective students in the postsecondary admission, financial aid, and enrollment process.
The Department of Education awarded Houston Community College, Central College a five (5) year TRIO Educational Opportunity Center (EOC) grant for the Center for Achieving a Career Education (CACE) program that will be located in the South campus. CACE will serve individuals in the Houston area who are high school seniors and 19 years of age or older who are interested in pursuing post-secondary education. CACE works with all individuals that meet program eligibility criteria. Students participate by attending informational advisement sessions, tutoring and mentoring sessions as needed, college prep-test reviews, and workshops.
Workshops are presented to students on subjects such as financial aid, college entrance requirements, study skills, stress management, goal setting, and test-taking. All services are free. If you think you may be eligible for CACE services please complete an application.
If you have any further questions about our program, please contact:
L. Michael Scott at 713-718-6330.
Center for Achieving a College Education (CACE TRIO)
Houston Community College
1990 Airport Blvd.
Houston, TX 77051
You are eligible to participate in the CACE program if you:
- Are a high school senior and 19 years of age or older; and
- Are a U.S. citizen, national, or permanent resident or are in the U.S. for other than a temporary purpose and can provide evidence from the Immigration and Naturalization Service of your intent to become a permanent resident; and
- Express a desire to enroll, or are enrolled in a program of postsecondary education, and request information or assistance in applying for admission to, or financial aid for such a program; and
- Do not have a four-year college degree; and/or
- A veteran regardless of age if you satisfy the eligibility requirements listed above.
All Services are free.
- Assistance with the completion of college admission and financial aid applications
- Career planning and counseling
- Entrance examination information
- Financial literacy and student loan default counseling
- Personal Counseling
- Information on post-secondary educational programs including trade and vocational schools
- Referrals for public assistance and services
- Referral to adult basic education and High School Equivalent classes as needed
- GED and college test scholarship information and assistance
- Testing workshops
Although employment information is sometimes available, CACE is NOT a job placement service. CACE helps students who wish to apply for financial aid. The program DOES NOT provide financial assistance for educational or other purposes.
L. Michael Scott
Center for Achieving A Career Education
Houston Community College, MC1229K
Houston, TX 77051
1990 Airport Blvd.