Apply to the Honors College
Honors College Application Process
Due dates: Regular- May 1st, Final - July 15 or until cohort fills at each location.
Please expand each section and read the information before beginning and submitting your application.
To be considered for the HCC Honors College, you must meet one of the following:
- 3.5 high school GPA (on 4.0 scale) and college-level placement on TSI Test Reading 351; Writing 363; Writing Sample 4; Math 350 OR
- SAT EBRW score of480 AND Math Score of 530 or ACT score of 23 composite OR 3.5 high school GPA
- 3.5 HCC GPA in college-level courses (if currently an HCC student)
Please submit all of the required documents through this digital application.
- A complete Honors College application and copies of all requested documents
- An essay on an assigned topic in English
You may choose one of the following essay topics. Explain your choice and be as explicit as possible.
- Describe a significant experience that changed your life perspective.
- Choose a family member or an individual and describe how this person has influenced your life.
- If you could change one thing about the world to make it a better place, what would that one thing be?
- Two letters of recommendation from either high school or college faculty, counselors, employers or community members
- Copy of high school and/or HCC transcript, if applicable
- Copy of test scores, including HCC test scores, if applicable. (Many test scores are posted on high school transcripts.)
Scholarships and Financial Aid
A combination of awards will be available to students (federal, state, or foundation). All students with the exception of students with the F1 Visa are required to complete and submit the FAFSA (Free Application for Federal Student Aid) to maximize financial aid opportunities. Undocumented students should complete the TAFSA (for Texas grants). Merit scholarships are available for students who have completed the application process for FAFSA and TAFSA and whose grant funds do not cover all tuition and fees. In addition, the HCC Foundation (www.hccsfoundation.org) has many scholarships for recent high school graduates.
Most scholarship applications are due by June 15.
Please note—Merit scholarships are also available for F1 students, but they are limited.
All applicants should review HCC Foundation for more scholarship opportunities: https://www.hccsfoundation.org/Scholarships
Honors College Acceptance Criteria
Students who meet the criteria listed above may submit an Honors College application. A combination of grades, test scores, recommendations, essay on an assigned topic and the personal interview will be used holistically to determine acceptance into the Honors College.
- Maintain a 3.2 GPA
- Carry a full-time course load of 12-18 credit hours each semester
- May not withdraw from classes without consultation with Director on site
- Sign and maintain the Honors College Code of Behavior and Academic Honesty
- May not change their major without consultation with Director on site
For More Information, Contact a Director
Dr. Cheryl Peters, Executive Director, Honors College Houston Community College
3100 Main, MC 1162
Houston, TX 77002
Dan Flores, Director of Honors College, NW
Dr. Toni M. Holland, Interim Director of Honors College, SE
Dr. Nicolas Rangel, Director of Honors College, Central
Deanne Schlanger, Director of Honors College, SW