VMASS Benefits Process
*Returning students skip to STEP 7
STEP 1 - Apply for VA Benefits at Vets.gov
STEP 2 - Complete HCC Admissions application by visiting hccs.edu/apply
STEP 3 - Obtain official transcripts from any other Universities, colleges, trade schools and/or military Institutions you’ve attended.
- Visit jst.doded.mil to access military transcripts.
- For Air Force transcripts, please visit airuniversity.af.edu/Barnes/CCAF/
- All veterans, active duty, active National Guard and Reserves, must submit military transcripts within 30 days from submitting HCC Application.
All transcripts should be submitted to:
Houston Community College
Office of Admission & Records
P.O. Box 667517
Houston, TX 77266
STEP 4– First time using your Education Benefit at HCC? Submit a certification request for “new student” and select the “benefit program” that applies. https://www.hccs.edu/support-services/veteran-affairs/vmass-certification-request/
- New Students Only – A checklist will be generated to the student center where the required documents, by benefit indicated on certification request, can be uploaded by students. Students will have 7 days to submit documents. (PDF only) https://myeagle.hccs.edu/
STEP 5 - Visit with an HCC academic advisor to select a VA approved degree program or certificate plan. https://www.hccs.edu/support-services/advising/
STEP 6 - Due to the COVID-19, our campuses and offices are closed. Please email or call with questions regarding education benefits at Vmassonline@hccs.edu or calling 713-718-8522
- A VMASS academic advisor is assigned by the education benefit awarded. After submitting the required documents, contact email@example.com or 713-718-8522 with academic advising concerns. (Examples - Change of Degree, TSI exemption)
STEP 7 - Submit VMASS Certification Request, for each benefit awarded (Required for any schedule changes, i.e.. Add, Drop, Swap) https://www.hccs.edu/support-services/veteran-affairs/vmass-certification-request/
STEP 8 - Register for classes on your approved degree plan.
- VA does not cover classes that are not on
Your approved degree plan.
- Vocational Rehabilitation and Employment (Chapter 31)
- Contact Assigned VA Voc-Rehab counselor to complete VA required steps
- Assigned VA Counselor will provide the student with authorization # for books/supplies
- For Veterans & Service Member Transfer Students submit VA Form 22-1995
- Survivors' and Dependents' Educational Assistance Transfer Student (Chapter 35) Submit VA Form 22-5495
VMASS Required Documents by Benefits & Forms
Statement of Intent & Change of Residency Petition