VMASS Benefits Process
Follow the steps below to apply for VA benefits.
*Returning students skip to STEP 7
Step 1 - Apply for VA Benefits
Find out how to apply for the GI Bill and other VA education benefits as a Veteran, service member, or qualified family member.
Step 3 - Request Official Transcripts
Obtain official transcripts from any other Universities, colleges, trade schools and/or military Institutions you’ve attended.
- Visit jst.doded.mil to access military transcripts.
- For Air Force transcripts, please visit airuniversity.af.edu/Barnes/CCAF/
- All veterans, active duty, active National Guard and Reserves, must submit military transcripts within 30 days from submitting HCC Application.
All transcripts should be submitted to:
Houston Community College
Office of Admission & Records
P.O. Box 667517
Houston, TX 77266
Step 4 - New Students
First time using your Education Benefit at HCC? Submit a certification request for “new student” and select the “benefit program” that applies. https://www.hccs.edu/support-services/veteran-affairs/vmass-certification-request/
- New Students Only – A checklist will be generated to the student center where the required documents, by benefit indicated on certification request, can be uploaded by students. Students will have 7 days to submit documents. (PDF only) https://myeagle.hccs.edu/
Step 5 - Academic Advising
Visit with an HCC academic advisor to select a VA approved degree program or certificate plan. https://www.hccs.edu/support-services/advising/
- A VMASS academic advisor is assigned by the education benefit awarded. After submitting the required documents, contact email@example.com or 713-718-8522 with academic advising concerns. (Examples - Change of Degree, TSI exemption)
Step 6 - Contact Us
Due to the COVID-19, our campuses and offices are closed.
Join Us in Zoom Meeting
Join our Cloud HD Video Meeting
Zoom is the leader in modern enterprise video communications, with an easy, reliable cloud platform for video and audio conferencing, chat, and webinars across mobile, desktop, and room systems. The VMASS Zoom Rooms will be available on the following days and times;
Monday- Thursday from 8 am to 6 pm and Friday from 8 am to 5 pm.
Please email us with questions regarding education benefits at Vmassonline@hccs.edu.
Step 7 - Certification Request
Submit VMASS Certification Request, for each benefit awarded (Required for any schedule changes, i.e.. Add, Drop, Swap) https://www.hccs.edu/support-services/veteran-affairs/vmass-certification-request/
Step 8 - Class Registration
Register for classes on your approved degree plan.
- VA does not cover classes that are not on
Your approved degree plan.
- Veteran Readiness and Employment (Chapter 31)
- Contact Assigned VA Voc-Rehab counselor to complete VA required steps
- Assigned VA Counselor will provide the student with authorization # for books/supplies
- For Veterans & Service Member Transfer Students submit VA Form 22-1995
- Survivors' and Dependents' Educational Assistance Transfer Student (Chapter 35) Submit VA Form 22-5495
VMASS Required Documents by Benefits & Forms
Statement of Intent & Change of Residency Petition