Celebrating graduates at the 2019 Honors College Graduates' Luncheon in May 2019.
HCC Honors College
Now accepting applications for Fall 2021.
The Honors College at Houston Community College is a place where talented students like you study together with inspiring faculty members as part of an exciting learning community.
Your courses will be interdisciplinary and built around themes that will challenge you intellectually. And since your classes will be small and highly interactive, you will get to know your fellow students and professors in a more in-depth learning environment.
In addition to your honors classes, you will meet with other Honors College students in a weekly seminar to develop and enhance your leadership skills. Not only are we committed to helping you earn your academic degree in two years and transfer to a four-year university, but we also are committed to helping you reach your full academic potential in a structured learning environment.
Apply for the Honors College
Learn more about the Honors College
What is the Honors College
The Honors College is a place where a specific enriched learning experience is provided to goal-oriented, academically gifted students. The Honors College offers a rigorous curriculum that is a challenging array of courses and seminars. Leadership opportunities, internships, study travel tours and service learning activities further enhance intellectual and personal growth. Honors courses will generally be small and seminar-based.
The purpose of the Honors College is to provide courses that show students how knowledge in the field is acquired, developed, evaluated, argued, tested and applied. Assignments stress theory, analysis and synthesis. Original research, whether in the library, field, laboratory or on the Internet is required, along with a culminating project that is publicly shared and critiqued. Honors courses use active and collaborative learning. Students conduct interviews, keep journals, write term papers, work on advanced problem sets and produce creative solutions to complex problems. Successful Honors College students are prepared to transfer to many of the most prestigious colleges and universities in the state and the nation.
Students in the Honors College are part of a small, selective learning community. They enjoy special privileges that include:
- Small, interactive classes with highly qualified professors committed to students
Campus leadership roles
- Special access to cutting-edge science, language and computer laboratories
- Individual attention and opportunities to collaborate with professors and peers
- University transfer advisement resulting in the opportunity to graduate from prestigious universities
- Internships and service learning activities related to the student’s field of study
- Study-travel opportunities
- Personalized and seamless registration
- Individualized counseling for educational and career planning
- Development of a capstone project that may result in research for a presentation or publication
- Special notation of Honors College degree on transcript and diploma
- Recognition as an Honors College graduate at commencement
Travel Abroad Possibilities
The Honors College is pleased to offer travel abroad possibilities to all of its students, provided they are able to travel outside the United States. In a shrinking world of global markets and instantaneous news, the importance of understanding the world outside of Houston, Texas, has become increasingly important. Travel abroad provides one of the very best ways to jump start that understanding. The Honors College is pleased to be one of the few institutions in the country to be able to provide such a dynamic opportunity.
To review our travel abroad experiences, see our video blog on YouTube.
Locations and Contacts
Dr. Cheryl Peters, Executive Director, Honors College Houston Community College
3100 Main, MC 1162
Houston, TX 77002
Dr. Nicolas Rangel, Director of Honors College - Central, 713-718-6336
Northwest - Spring Branch
Dan Flores, Director of Honors College-NW, 713-718-7465
Southwest - Stafford
Deanne Schlanger, Director of Honors College- SW, 713-718-5675
SE location - Eastside
Dr. Toni Holland, Honors College Director-SE, 713-718-6859
Transfer Colleges and Universities
Out of State
- American University
- Arizona State University
- California Polytechnic University, Pomona
- Columbia University
- Cornell University
- Evergreen State
- Grinnell College
- Louisiana State University
- Loyola University
- Massachusetts College of Pharmacy and Health Sciences
- Purdue University
- Reed College
- Rhodes College
- University of California, Berkeley
- University of Oklahoma
- University of Pennsylvania
- Valparaiso University
- Wellesley College
- Baylor University
- Houston Baptist University
- MD Anderson Health Science Center
- Rice University
- St. Mary’s University
- Sam Houston State University
- Stephen F. Austin University
- Texas A&M University
- Texas Southern University
- Texas Tech University
- Texas Women’s University
- University of Houston (Bauer College, Honors College, Cullen College of Engineering)
- University of St. Thomas
- University of Texas (Austin, Arlington, Dallas, San Antonio)
- University of Texas Health Science Center