Frequently Asked Questions: Certification Process

What academic standards are required to receive full basic housing allowance (BAH)?

Per U.S Department of Veterans Affairs:

  • Classes enrolled must be part of your declared major degree plan.
  • Must be enrolled in at least 12 semester credit hours.
  • At least 1 semester credit hour must be on campus (face-to-face), rest can be online or hybrid.
  • Good academic standing, 2.0 GPA and above.


I am using Chapter 31 (Vocational Rehabilitation) and I need my book voucher. When and where can I pick up my book voucher?

Once we receive the VA Form 28-1905 from your VA Counselor, it may take up to 3-5 business days to process your book voucher. Book vouchers may be picked up at our district office location at 3220A Main Street, Houston TX, 77002 OR book vouchers can be faxed to the book store of your home campus upon request.


Additional Information:

  • Be in good academic standing. 2.0 GPA and above.
  • Ensure that your classes are listed on your declared major degree plan.


I have a hold on my account, VET Enrollment Support hold?

All HCC veteran & military-affiliated students have a VET Support hold on their PeopleSoft Student (MyEagle) account.

The purpose of the VET Enrollment Support Hold is to notify VMASS office of enrollment changes when student adds/drops/swaps classes.

Hold is automatically placed on your account every Monday and Thursday at 10:59PM.

In order to have the hold removed, you must submit a VMASS Certification Request Form. Holds are removed in the order of request received, during business hours (Mon-Fri, 8am-5pm).


What is a Parent Institution Letter?

Primary/Parent Institution Letters (PIL) are letters that are sent from a primary school to a secondary school authorizing the secondary school to certify classes the student is taking. Classes at the secondary school must be part of declared major degree plan of the primary school or they cannot be certified. The PIL must be sent directly to our district office of Veteran & Military-Affiliated Student Success.


How much money will I receive under the Post 9/11 GI Bill and when do they disburse?

Per U.S Department of Veteran Affairs:

For your convenience, the link provided is a direct response that addresses disbursements.



Frequently Asked Questions: Academic

Will HCC accept my military transcript/credits?

Houston Community College evaluates all transcripts, including military transcripts, at the time of admission. Keep in mind that completing the degree plan is the focus and most military transcripts pertain to technical credits that may not apply to your degree plan. If you feel that you should have received credit(s) for something on your military transcript that was not awarded in your degree plan at HCC, please feel free to contact your Academic Advisor.


Probation/Suspension hold in my account?

You must make an online appointment for a SLIP session on campus. In your PeopleSoft Student Center, under your “To Do List,” you will see a SLIP session link. If no SLIP session link is available, you must consult with VA counselor. Call us at 713.718.8522 or visit us at 3220A Main Street, Houston TX, 77002, during business hours (Mon-Fri, 8 a.m. – 5 p.m.). 


I need to change my degree plan, what course of action should I take?

Visit with an HCC Academic Advisor and submit a signed updated degree plan. Under Chapter 33 (Post 9/11 GI Bill), Chapter 30 (Montgomery GI Bill), Chapter 1606 & 1607 (GI Bill Reserves), you must submit a request for change of program or place of training (VA Form 22-1995) to VMASS office.


Do I have to take the TSI test?

The TSI is waived for all veterans that have Honorable discharge after August 1, 1990. For active duty and reserves, a letter from commanding officer can waive TSI test. If you are a transfer student and have more than 12 college semester credit hours, you may be exempt from taking the TSI. For more information, contact your Academic Advisor.


Frequently Asked Questions: Hazlewood

What does Hazlewood exactly pay for?

The tuition waiver will cover the cost of all tuition fees and charges, including fees for correspondence courses. The Hazlewood Act is a tuition exemption program that covers all courses EXCEPT continuing education (CEU). Funds are received directly by HCC business office.


What is a VA benefit letter and how do I receive one?

The VA benefit letter (Exhaust of Benefits Letter) is an official correspondence from the VA stating your education benefits status. The letter will usually state you have exhausted your benefits or you are no longer eligible to receive federal educational benefits.


How do I know if I am eligible for Hazlewood (Veteran or Dependent)?

For your convenience, the link provided is a direct response that addresses Hazlewood Eligibility for veterans and veteran dependents.

Additional information is also provided by the Texas Veterans Commission.