Frequently Asked Questions
On January 11, 2021 the TSIA2 launched, replacing the classic TSIA. After January 11, 2021 the classic TSIA will no longer be available. If college readiness scores were not met on any parts of the classic TSIA, the TSIA2 must be taken.
Do I have to take the TSIA2?
All new students enrolling in a Texas Public Institution of Higher Educations must take the TSIA2 to determine college readiness unless they qualify for an exemption. Visit TSIA Exemptions for a list of exemptions.
What is the cost of the TSIA2?
The full TSIA2 test (Math and English Language Arts and Reading - ELAR) costs $29 or $20 for ELAR only and $10 for Math or Essay only.
How much time do I get to take the TSIA2?
The TSI Assessment is untimed. The average time to complete the full battery is three to five hours.
What do I need to bring with me to the test?
Valid/current, non-expired government issued photo ID.
Assessment Authorization Form (AA Form) received from Enrollment or Advising.
Receipt of payment
Am I allowed to bring a calculator to the test?
You may NOT use your own calculator for the TSIA2. A calculator is imbedded in the test and will enable for the questions it is allowed to be used on.
What are the passing scores?
- Writing College Readiness:
- A placement score of at least 340 and an essay score of at least 4; OR
- A placement score of less than 340 and an ABE diagnostic level of at least a 4 and an essay score of at least 5.
- Reading College Readiness: 351
- Math College Readiness: 350
- English Language Arts and Reading:
- A College Readiness Classification (CRC) score of at least 945 and an essay score of at least 5; or
- A CRC score below 945 and a Diagnostic level of 5 or 6 and an essay score of at least 5.
- Mathematics (for college-level coursework with mathematics-intensive designation by the offering institution):
- A College Readiness Classification (CRC) score of at least 950; or
- A CRC score below 950 and a Diagnostic level of 6.
Can I retake the TSIA2?
Yes, you may retake the TSI Assessment 2.0. However, before retesting, it is strongly recommended that you spend time preparing for the section or sections needed. The full TSIA2 test (Math and English Language Arts and Reading - ELAR) costs $29 or $20 for ELAR only and $10 for Math or Essay only. Prepayment is required and test fees are non-refundable. You will not be able to retest the same day.
How long does it take to get scores?
The TSI Assessment2 is scored immediately upon completion. You will also receive an unofficial copy of your score report via email.
What do I do after I complete my test?
You will meet with your advisor to review your scores and determine your course selections.