Transferring Credits

Transfer Equivalency

Houston Community College Equivalency List Combined Shape Created with Sketch.

Transfer credits by type

Transfer Credits for Louisiana Schools

Courses listed in the equivalency charts are equated with the Texas Common Course Numbering System (TCCNS), based on a review of catalog descriptions and degree requirements at the listed universities. Students, admission officers, and academic advisors can use this crosswalk as a general guide for transfer credit evaluation and course placement. TCCNS includes only lower-division courses.

For students transferring coursework to a Texas institution: courses listed in the crosswalks are widely applicable at Texas colleges and universities. For example, CHEM 107 at Tulane generally transfers in the same way as CHEM 1311, subject to the transfer policies and curriculum of the receiving institution. For students planning to transfer coursework back to a Louisiana institution: course comparisons listed in the crosswalks below are the best available estimates how Louisiana institutions might accept courses, but Texas campuses cannot guarantee receiving institutions will make the same assessments in reverse (see your Louisiana school transfer representative). Differences between courses that may affect transfer and/or degree applicability of credit are noted parenthetically.
Course numbering and unit of credit information for sending institutions appear at the end of the university chart.


Foreign Credits

For post-secondary education completed outside the United States, HCC requires a course-by-course evaluation (not a translation) of the coursework completed. Only Canadian institutions of higher education and those which hold a U.S. regional accreditation, do not require an evaluation of the foreign credits. The foreign evaluation companies listed below are recommended by HCC. These companies will assess the foreign credit and determine their equivlancy to that of the United States. The foreign evaluation obtained by one of these companies will then be assessed by HCC for use within our various certificate and degree programs.

list of recommended foreign evaluations companies:


Credit by Exam/ACE Credit

HCC will award credit hours of credit by exam with passing scores from the following nationally acceptable exams:


Official test score reports/transcripts must be sent by the test publisher to:

Office of Student Records
Houston Community College
3100 Main St., MC 1136
Houston, TX 77002

* we do not accept transcripts/score reports from Credly.


Military Credit

Guidelines for Advanced Standing Credit

Military Credit Students must:
Access the website(s) listed below to obtain the official military transcript (sometimes called AARTS, SMART, or ACE transcript) of college work, training, and job responsibilities (NOTE: A DD-214 is not enough to evaluate credit. You must present one of the transcripts below):
Air Force
Army/A.C.E. Registry Transcript System (AARTS)

Marine and Navy
Sailor/Marine American Council on Education Registry Transcript (SMART)

Ace Military Programs

  1. See the academic advisor to obtain the Application for Advanced Standing Credit.
  2. Complete the Application for Advanced Standing Credit.  There is no fee for the military evaluation. (Note: Application for military credit does not guarantee that credit will be granted).
  3. Return the application to the academic advisor along with the official military transcript for routing to the Registrar’s Office.

Academic Advisor then forwards the official military transcript with the Application for Advanced Standing Credit to the Registrar’s Office, MC 1136.

If you have comments or suggestions, e-mail the HCC Transfer Office.


Work and Experiential Credit

CEU Credit
Transcripted CEU credit may be applied to Career and Technology programs and considered as elective credit on the associate degree when submitted with the official transcript, Application for Advanced Standing Credit and receipt of fee payment (does not guarantee acceptance of credit). A certificate of completion will not be accepted in lieu of an official college transcript. Note: A maximum of 21 hours of advanced standing credit may be granted as it applies to the program.

Work Experience Credit
For purposes of work experience documentation, the Chair, Academic Advisor or Program Coordinator must obtain from the employer a signed letter providing a detailed description of the work performed by the student, match it to the course(s) outcomes for which the student is seeking credit, and attach it to the Application for Advanced Standing Credit Form. The aforementioned documentation, application for Advanced Standing Credit, and receipt of fee payment (does not guarantee acceptance of credit) must be submitted together for review to the Dean’s office. Note: A maximum of 21 hours of advanced standing credit may be granted as it applies to the program.

The Dean then forwards the student’s degree plan, appropriate documentation as outlined above, and the Application for Advanced Standing Credit with fee receipt to the Office of Student Records at the System Administration Building, MC 1136.


Texas Common Course Numbering System (TCCNS)

The Texas Common Course Numbering System (TCCNS) is a voluntary, co-operative effort among 136 Texas community colleges and universities to facilitate transfer of freshman and sophomore level general academic coursework. TCCNS provides a shared, uniform set of course designations for students and their advisors to use in determining both course equivalency and degree applicability of transfer credit on a statewide basis. When students transfer between two participating TCCNS institutions, a course taken at the sending institution transfers as the course carrying the same TCCNS designation at the receiving institution.


TCCNS Website (