The U.S. Labor Department has identified Paralegals as one of the fastest growing occupations, a real winner for employment in the new millennium. Paralegals, work under the supervision of attorneys and often perform a wide variety of legal tasks, which include background research, law office management and preparation of legal documents.
Houston Community College's paralegal area of study focuses on developing the critical reasoning, analytical skills and legal knowledge essential to succeeding in today's paralegal and law-related occupations. It will help you develop essential skills in research, analysis, organization, and clear and concise communication. You'll also develop a framework for understanding the law and its history, along with the critical thinking skills you need to analyze complex issues and craft convincing arguments. These courses may be applied toward an AAS in Paralegal Technology at HCC.
What are the prerequisites?
- LGLA 1091 (Introduction to Law) - None
- LGLA 1091 (Legal Research I) - Prerequisite is Introduction to Law
Frequently Asked Questions
How do I register?
On-line application /registration-www.hccs.edu/ce
Complete and sign an HCC Continuing Education Enrollment Form
- Bring the Enrollment Form to an HCC School of Continuing Education Registration Office
- Pay tuition at the time of registration (checks, credit cards, cash or money order accepted)
- *Note: You will not be able to start classes if tuition has not been paid.
- Financial assistance is not available
Where are classes held?
Locations vary throughout HCC's district campuses. Please contact our office at 713-718-2921.
What are the requirements for receiving a certificate?
Must successfully complete the 8 required courses:
- Introduction to Law, 16 hours
- Legal Research I, 16 hours
- Legal Research II, 16 hours
- Legal Research III, 16 hours
- Texas Civil Litigation I, 16 hours
- Texas Civil Litigation II, 16 hours
- Texas Civil Litigation III, 16 hours
- Legal Writing, 16 hours
Students not pursuing the certificate program are welcome to take as many individual courses as they wish.
Is the formal training transferable to an associate's degree in Paralegal Studies?
Yes, the Houston Community College Paralegal Studies Program will award 6 academic credits with the successful completion of each course.
Is this program approved by the American Bar Association (ABA)?
This program is not ABA approved.
Do I have to be certified to work as a paralegal in Texas?
No. Certification is a voluntary process.
The Texas Board of Legal Specialization offers six certification exams in different areas of law for professionals who wish to become a certified paralegal in Texas.
What type of job will I get?
Paralegal, Legal Assistant, and Legal File Clerk.
Do you provide job placement?
As an HCC Student, you have access to The Career Planning Resource staff, and the Virtual Career Center. (VCC)
Career Planning Advisors:
- Central College -713 718 6176
- Northwest College -713 718 5802
- Southwest College -713 718 7718
- Southeast College -713 718 6826
- Northeast College -713 718 5291
What types of companies will hire me?
Private Law firms, civil service departments of the federal and or state government, legal services and legal aid offices, law departments of corporations, banks, insurance companies, and other businesses; special interest groups (such as unions, associations, citizen action groups, lobbyists, etc.) federal or state prosecutors’ offices; or as a self-employed professional who sells services directly to attorneys.
How much money can I make - $17.00-$27.00/hr
What is the cost of tuition?
Please call office for Course and Material information at 713-718-2921
Is there an attendance policy?
Must attend at least 80% of scheduled class time.