Required information session dates/times?
|Southeast Campus: 6815 Rustic, 77087||Thursday: Oct 29, Nov 19||5:30 pm||Lecture Hall||713.718.7031|
|Alief CE Center: 13803 Bissonnet, 77083||Thursday: Dec 10||5:30 pm||TBA||713.718.7583|
Total tuition cost for all courses is $1485. Fees are subject to change without notice:
ECRD 1011, 64 hours: $545
Topics include cardiac cycle, lead placement, heart rhythms, AV blocks. Practice includes rhythm analysis, interpretation, and recognition of cardiac emergencies.
ECRD 1091, 32 hours: $315
EKG Lab 1,
Perform 12-Lead ECG’s and 3-Lead recording techniques, patient assessment, vital signs
ECRD 1091, 24 hours: $150
EKG Lab 2,Stress Testing
Cardiac stress testing and Holter monitor
CVTT 1060, 120 hours: $475
EKG or Telemetry Clinical
Clinical placement occurs after successful completion of Lab 2. Student will perform EKG’s on actual patients within an assigned hospital or clinical setting. See Information Page for specific clinical eligibility requirements
Certificate of completion? (240 hours, 24.0 CEU’s)
upon completion of the 4 courses.
COLLEGE LEVEL READING AND BASIC MATH REQUIRED
Applicant must be able to add, subtract, multiply, and divide decimals and fraction
EKG Plain and Simple, 4th edition, ISBN-10: 0132377292 by Ellis
Also required, Electrocardiography for Health Care Personnel, 4th edition, ISBN-13: 978-0-07-802067-4. Books may be purchased from Eastside campus bookstore, (713) 640-1441, or from an online, such as www.bookfinder4u.com
EKG Information Sheet
Are there any low cost blood testing (Titers) for immunity confirmation & vaccines?
- Pasadena Health Center: 908 Southmore, 77502
- Legacy Community Health Service: 5602 Lyons, Ste. 1
- Central Care Community Health Center at MLK
8610 Martin Luther King Jr. Blvd., 77033
- Harris County Public Health & Environmental Services
2223 West Loop South, 77027 713.439.6000
Sources of local vaccines?
County health departments offer adult vaccines. You may request low or no cost vaccines. Be sure to go to the clinic in the county in which you live. Call for an appointment prior to going.
Harris County: http://www.hcphes.org/dccp/clinical.htm
Harris County Antoine Health Clinic:
5815 Antoine, Suite A, Houston, 77091 713- 602-3300
Harris County Baytown Health Clinic:
1000 Lee Drive, Baytown, 77520 281-427-5195
Harris County Humble Health Clinic:
1730 Humble Place Drive, Humble 77338 281- 446-4222
Harris County LaPorte Health Clinic:
1009 South Broadway, LaPorte, 77571 281- 471-4202
Harris County Southeast Health Clinic:
3737 Red Bluff Road, Pasadena, 77503 713- 740-5000
Fort Bend County Health Department Clinics
Fort Bend County EAST END ANNEX:
303 F.M. 2234, #202
Missouri City, 77459 281-403-8041
Fort Bend County CLINICAL HEALTH SERVICES
4520 Reading Road, Suite “A”
Rosenberg, 77471 281-342-6414
What is a Patient Care Technician?
- The Patient Care Technician, also known as a PCT, level 3, is a nationally recognized name for certified nurse aides with phlebotomy and EKG training. The healthcare career ladder is structured so that there may be a salary increase for each skill added to the basic certified nurse aid training.
- The PCT certificate is offered for HCC students who complete the Certified Nurse Aide, Phlebotomy, and ECG Lab 1 (12-Lead Fundamentals) programs/classes.
Patient Care Technician Curriculum-
NURA 1001 Certified Nurse Aide, 96 hours
Current CNA licensure accepted in lieu of NURA 1001
PLAB 1023 Phlebotomy, 96 hours
PLAB 1060 Phlebotomy Clinical, 120 hours
ECRD 1091 ECG 12-Lead Fundamentals, 32 hours
Please attend a Patient Care Technician Info Session to learn how to apply to this program and determine if funding is available
Is there Financial Aid available?
- There is no funding from the following sources for individual courses, but TPEG is sometimes available for PCT program for qualified applicants:
- TPEG or HCC grants.
- PELL grant funds will not apply directly to continuing education classes.
Are there payment plans available?
- Online Payment Plans available. Nonrefundable service fee is $30.
- Pay 50% at registration; pay remaining before end of class.
- Receipts must be shown to Instructor the first class day.
How do I register?
(after permission has been granted for phlebotomy students by Virginia Thomas or Angie Moreno)
- On-Line application/registration at www.hccs.edu. Click on “Admission & Registration Center.” Choose “Continuing Education Student,” or
- Complete and sign an HCC Continuing Education Enrollment Form (copy of form is the last page in this packet)
- Bring it to any HCC campus registration office
- Pay tuition and fees at the time of registration
to prevent being dropped for nonpayment. Checks, credit cards, cash or money order are accepted.
What is the attendance policy?
- Perfect attendance is recommended.
- 80% attendance is required, with all assignments, exams, and lab competencies completed.
- You are allowed (2) two absences during the clinical portion, which must be made up.
Campus locations for classes?
- Southeast College - 6815 Rustic, 77087 (45 & Woodridge)
- Alief Bissonnet – 13803 Bissonnet, 77083
Students with documented disabilities may arrange reasonable accommodations by contacting the Disability Services Office at the respective college.
- Southeast college: 713.718.7218
- Northwest college: 713.718.5604
The following are requirements that must be submitted by the due date given by the clinical instructor.
Students who have not submitted all required documents by requested date may be required to repeat a lecture/lab class for clinical eligibility.
- Criminal Background Check for students through Precheck, approximately $53.50. www.precheck.com.
- Drug Screen through Lab Corp, $35
You must use the form which will be provided by your instructor.
- CPR, Healthcare Provider (offered by American Heart Asso.) or CPR for the Professional Rescuer (offered by American Red Cross, Medic First Aid, or ASHI) ~$40
- Photocopy of Student ID
Submit during your first week of class.
- Uniform scrubs must be worn during clinical and class
- Current immunizations (see below)
Additional clinical information?
- Clinical placement is based on site availability.
- Clinicals are typically M-F, daytime hours only.
- Full time students (40 hours/week for three weeks straight) are given priority for clinical placement.
- The minimum number of clinical hours allowed is 15/week.
- Students do not choose their clinical sites, but are placed according to zip code and availability of site.Some sites require a $20 application fee, and some require that you pay for parking.
- Part time student with irregular hours are placed at M.D.A.
Successful completion of curriculum?
Successful students have the following attributes:
- Strong critical reading skills: college level reading is advised.
- Great Attendance: attend more than 80% of classes
- Spend time outside of class studying and completing assignments: For every hour spent in class, a successful student will spend 1-2 hours outside of class. This can be 5 – 20 hours in addition to the time spent in class.
High compliance to classroom/clinical requirements:
- No fragrances allowed in class or clinical;
- Wear scrubs;
- Cell phones turned off;
- No food/drink in classroom/lab except bottled water;
- No artificial nails or polish: maximum length of nails is 1/8 inch;
- No hats;
- No jewelry: wristwatch and one ring allowed. One set of earrings allowed. Facial piercings must not have visible ornamentation;
- Fully participate in all lab and class activities. Phlebotomy students perform multiple venipunctures on each other throughout the course. EKG lab students perform multiple ekgs on each other.
- Submit all required clinical documents by the due date given by the clinical instructor.
- Complete all payments by last class date.
How do I order books online from HCC bookstore?
- Click on “Current Students”
- Click on “HCC Bookstore”
- Click on “Shop Now. Search by course.”
- Follow the steps listed. (You need to know your courses
and CRN numbers to fill out the request form.)
Economical alternative: www.bookfinder4u.com
Click here to view the Information Session schedule