About the Program
The Business program provides distinctive learning that actively engages students, faculty, and the business community in developing knowledge and skills relevant for success in a complex global economy. The majority of Americans make their living in business, regardless of their academic major. The job market is opening up for individuals with an associate degree in business. The program offers an AA and AAS degrees with certificates in several specializations.
AWARD TYPES: Associate in Arts
AREA OF STUDY: Business
Business - AA/Online Option
Associate in Arts
To be eligible for an Associate in Arts (AA), an Associate of Arts in Teaching (AAT), or an Associate in Science (AS) degree from HCC, a student must successfully:
Complete at least 60 semester hours of credit as follows: (a) for the AA degree, 43 hours of required core courses and 17 hours of transferable electives, usually focusing on the student's transfer major (b) for the AAT degree, 44 hours of required core courses plus 16-18 hours of required pre-teaching courses (c) for the AS degree, 43 hours of required core courses plus six additional hours of mathematics, four additional hours of natural science, and 7 hours of transferable electives, usually focusing on the student's transfer major
Additional Degree Requirements
A student who has received an associate degree or higher from an accredited institution must meet specific requirements to earn an additional degree from HCC.
- The student must complete a minimum of 18 semester hours at HCC for each additional degree. These hours may not repeat credit applied from a previous HCC degree. These hours may not be satisfied through credit by exam.
- All additional hours must be applicable toward the additional degree. If the student has prior credit in required courses, appropriate substitutions may be arranged.
- All courses required by the specific HCC program of the additional degree must be completed.
- A grade point average of at least 2.0 must be earned on all hours since the previous degree.
- Academic courses from previous degrees may be applied to an additional AAS degree required academic core where equivalent and appropriate, which waives the need for approval, except where program restrictions prevail.
- If the first degree was an Associate in Arts, an Associate of Arts in Teaching, Associate in Science, a bachelor degree, or higher degree from an accredited educational institution in the United States, the student will be considered to be “Core Complete”, thus needing to complete only the requirement of 18 additional semester hours at HCC toward a new associate degree.
- Each additional academic associate degree obtained from HCC must be of a different type. Thus, a student may only obtain one Associate in Arts, one Associate of Arts in Teaching, and/or one Associate in Science from HCC. For example, if one degree from HCC was an AA, then any additional degrees must be an AAT, AS, or AAS.
- Multiple Associate of Applied Science degrees may be earned from HCC if all AAS program requirements are met including earning at least 18 additional semester hours at HCC, 12 of which must be earned in the major program of the additional degree. In most cases, however, there is only one AAS degree allowable per workforce program. See counselor or program chair for clarification.
- Multiple workforce Certificates of Completion may be earned from HCC if all program requirements are met for each certificate including earning at least 9 additional unique semester hours at HCC toward the major program of the additional certificate.
- All other state and institutional graduation requirements, including TSI policies and financial obligations, must be met.
The Business Administration Program is accredited by the Accreditation Council for Business Schools and Programs (ACBSP). ACBSP is a leading specialized business accreditation association committed to advancing excellence in business education worldwide. Our member institutions share the common belief that an excellent business education is defined by professors who are committed to teaching, students who come from a diversity of backgrounds, and courses that provide relevant skills for real-world opportunities.
CHEA Student Achievement:
Management AAS Graduates 2018 - 111
Business AA Graduates 2018 - 223
Online Program Restrictions
Language Option Restrictions
Some HCC Online programs require students to participate in foreign language courses as part of the program’s required curriculum. At this time, the only language option currently available online is Spanish. If you would like to take courses in a language other than Spanish, you would have to do so on campus.
Elective Course Restrictions
Some HCC Online programs may have a limited number of elective options available, based on which of the designated electives are currently offered online. If an elective course is not available online, it will be denoted in the program’s degree plan.
Required Course Restrictions
Some HCC Online programs may require students to participate in one or more campus-based courses as part of a given program’s required curriculum. If a program requires participation in a campus-based course, the campus-based course will be denoted in the program’s degree plan.
Potential Course Restrictions
Some courses may require students to participate in campus-based laboratory sessions or proctored examinations. Please review your course syllabus to determine if your online course has an on-campus laboratory or examination requirement.
Workforce Degrees and Certificates
Business Management - General Business - AAS/Online Option
Associate of Applied Science
Business Management - Entrepreneurship Certificate Level 1/Online Option
Certificate Level 1
Business Management - General Business - Certificate Level 1/Online Option
Certificate Level 1
Business Management - Human Resource Management Certificate Level 1/Online Option
Certificate Level 1
Business Management - Human Resource Management Specialization - AAS/Online Option
Associate of applied science
Business Management - Insurance Specialist/Associate Certificate Level 1
Certificate Level 1
The Texas Higher Education Coordinating Board (THECB) allows students to earn only one AAS in Business Management. Students may choose from one of the following two specializations: General or Human Resource Management.
In addition, please note that a student may only earn one Occupational Skills Award (OSA) per academic year.
TSI testing required prior to first enrollment for all AAS degrees and Level II certificates
There are 20,433 Business Continuity Planners employed in the Greater Houston Area. This number is expected to increase by 8.7% over the next four years.
The estimated annual job openings is 838 jobs a year.
Median Wages - $39.14 hourly, $81,000 annually
Become the Next CEO
CENTER FOR ENTREPRENEURSHIP
Powered by VEI
The ACEOi program is a student-centered approach that emphasizes a project-based collaborative learning model. This innovative program replicates the functions and demands of a real business and utilizes the guidance of a teacher-facilitator who acts as a business partner and transforms students into business professionals by bringing the workplace into the classroom.
Earn 3.0 credit hours
An office instead of classroom
Gain one year of daily work experience
Develop in-demand competencies
Develop leadership skills
For more information »