Seasonal Influenza & airborne illness - general precautions
- Stay home when you are sick. Stay home from work, school, and errands when you are sick. You will help prevent others from catching your illness. Avoid close contact with people who are sick.
- Cover your nose and mouth with a tissue when you cough or sneeze. Throw the tissue away after use and wash your hands. If a tissue is not available, cover your mouth and nose with your sleeve, not your hand.
- Wash your hands often with soap and water, especially after you cough or sneeze. If soap and water are not available, use an alcohol-based hand rub.
- Avoid touching your eyes, nose, or mouth. Germs spread this way.
- Clean and disinfect surfaces or objects.
Mosquito-borne illnesses - general precautions
Examples of mosquito-borne diseases include Chikungunya, Dengue Fever, West Nile, and Zika.)
- Apply EPA-approved insect repellent when planning to be outdoors.
- Wear long-sleeved shirts and wear long pants when outdoors for prolonged periods.
- Utilize screens or close windows and doors.
- Regularly remove any standing water that could provide a breeding ground for mosquitoes.
- Cover trash cans or containers that may collect water.