Verification is a process by which certain required data reported on the FAFSA is reviewed for accuracy and completeness. FAFSA data is selected randomly by the Central Processing System (CPS) of the U.S. Department of Education. It is the responsibility of the Financial Aid Office to verify, compare and correct; if necessary, the following:
- Federal Adjusted Gross Income (parent and student if the student is dependent)
- Federal Taxes Paid (parent and student if the student is dependent)
- Untaxed Income (parent and student if the student is dependent)
- Household Size
- Number in College (excluding parents for a dependent student)
- Certain untaxed income and benefits
When selected for verification and prior to offering a financial award package, the student will be notified by the U.S. Department of Education. The student will be directed to their HCC College Campus financial aid office to review a list of the documents that must be submitted to the Financial Aid Office before an award can be made from federal or state need-based and non-need based funds.
Students must submit all required verification documents prior to or before the end of the semester attended to be considered for financial aid funds.
If a student is selected for verification after being offered a financial aid award package, the student will be notified by HCC that they must submit all of the required documentation for the financial aid office to proceed with disbursing financial aid. If the documents are not received, financial aid - federal and state need-based and non-need based aid – will be cancelled and prior disbursements may be reversed.
If corrections need to be submitted as a result of incorrect or conflicting information, the data will be resubmitted by the Financial Aid Office for a recalculation of the Expected Family Contribution.
The Financial Aid Office must have reasonable processing time to:
- submit the corrections to the CPS if required,
- receive the corrected data from the CPS,
- make the offer of financial aid to the student
To ensure the student responds to the financial aid award offer including the certification of any student loans by the last day of the student’s enrollment of the semester, academic year, or summer session.
Once verification has been completed, students will be notified of financial aid eligibility or changes to a financial aid award package by a PeopleSoft generated e-mail. The student will be instructed to log into their HCC Student Account to review the original or revised financial aid award package and take any appropriate action as instructed.
Listed below are typical documents that may be requested by the FAO to resolve discrepant information or complete the verification process. Additional documentation may be requested at the discretion of the financial aid professional.
- Federal IRS tax return transcript.
- Form SSA-1098 for verification of discrepancies in social security payments is an acceptable form of documentation.
- Verification Form provides acceptable documentation on household size, number in college, and other verifiable income and data.
- Copy of Divorce Decree – for verification of divorce of parents or student/spouse.
- Copies of court ordered child support documentation – for verification of separation and/or child support payments received.
- Copies of birth certificate, naturalization certificate, or passport – for verification of citizenship. The financial aid office must view and copy the original.
- Copies of I-94 cards – for verification of non-citizen eligibility. The financial aid office must view and copy the original.
- Copies of selective service documents – for verification of registration with the Selective Service.
- Signed Social Security Card – for verification of discrepancies in social security number reported.
- Satisfactory payment arrangements on defaulted student loans – for verification that student has made satisfactory arrangements on prior defaulted loans.
Once all requested documentation has been received the financial aid professional will review the student’s application for accuracy. Any discrepant information will be updated and the student’s eligibility for financial aid will be recalculated.
TAX TRANSCRIPT INFORMATION
When applying for financial aid, you may need to provide tax account information from your (and/or your parents’) tax return or tax account transcript. Form 4506-T, Request for Transcript of Tax Return, can be used to get several types of transcripts, Form W-2 information, and verification of non-filing. In many cases, a return transcript will meet the requirements of financial aid offices or other lending institutions offering student loans. Additionally, you can order transcripts via the Transcript Toll free telephone line, the IRS2Go mobile application or via the web application on irs.gov. You can direct the documents to a third party or directly to your address of record. In some very limited instances, a copy of your (and/or your parents’) Federal Income Tax Return may be needed. Form 4506, Request for Copy of Tax Return, can be used to request a copy of your tax return.
FOR A TAX RETURN TRANSCRIPT OR TAX ACCOUNT TRANSCRIPT
A tax return transcript shows most line items contained on the return (1040 series) as it was originally filed, including any accompanying Forms and Schedules. A tax account transcript includes any later adjustments either you or the IRS made after the tax return was filed. It shows basic data, including marital status, type of return filed, adjusted gross and taxable income. Both transcripts are delivered in 10 business days, and are provided free of charge. In addition to requesting a transcript via the 4506-T, you may also call the dedicated transcript toll free line at 1-800-908-9946. The IRS2Go mobile app is available on Android and iOS (Apple) mobile devices for ordering either of these transcripts. Currently, you can visit irs.gov to use the Order a Transcript tool to have the transcript(s) mailed to the address we have on file; you may visit www.irs.gov/transcript to view your transcript online.
FOR RECORD OF ACCOUNT TRANSCRIPT OR OTHER VERIFICATION DOCUMENTS
A record of account transcript is a combination of the tax return and the tax account transcripts. It includes most line items contained on the return (1040 series) as it was originally filed, including any accompanying Forms and Schedules plus any later adjustments either you or the IRS made after the tax return was filed. Other income verification documents include Form W-2 information and verification of non-filing. These documents are delivered within 30 calendar days and are also provided free of charge. You can order any of these documents by submitting a completed Form 4506-T to the address in the instructions or by visiting www.irs.gov/transcript.