Defer Attendance Students
Deferment request deadlines
The OISS&SA must receive your deferment request on or before:
- Applicants with initial I-20 for Fall Semester: September 28
- Applicants with initial I-20 for Spring Semester: February 25
- Applicants with initial I-20 for Summer Semester: July 6
Apply to HCC: Defer Attendance
About Deferred Attendance
If you are unable to obtain the F-1 student visa, or, for any other reason, are unable to report on time for the semester you initially applied for and wish to defer your attendance to the next available semester, you must submit a deferred attendance request in order to process a new SEVIS Form I-20 for the next term. The deferred attendance request and documents should be received no later than 50 days from the original program start date on your SEVIS Form I-20 to avoid having the I-20 canceled in the system. If the SEVIS Form I-20 has been canceled, you will need to apply again and submit the documentation as a New student.
Step 1: Submit Deferment Request Form
Step 2: Monitor your F-1 Student Checklist for Updates and Prepare Required Documents
* All documents must be saved as PDF files. Bad quality or upside-down documents will be rejected. Please combine different document types in 1 PDF file. For example, if you have statements from different banks, save them as one file. To scan and convert a file to PDF format, you can also use free PDF scanner apps (Genius Scan - PDF Scanner, Fast Scanner: Free PDF Scan for Android, Tiny Scanner- PDF scanner, etc.)
- Financial Documentation
All financial documents must be dated within the past six months. However, if your previous documents on the record are dated within the past six months, no new documents are required.
- $50 Deferment Fee
Pay the non-refundable application $50 deferment fee and save the receipt as a PDF.
How to pay the fee:
Online payments (preferred): You can pay the fee online using a credit card or funds transfer from your local bank. For online payments, refer to the International Payment Tutorial (Flywire) for instructions. Please note that you must have completed Step 1 and Step 2 before you can make a payment online. Alternatively, you can pay the fee at any HCC campus and save the receipt.
Note: The payment term and entrance term may vary when paying the fee online. This is not a problem as the payment can be tracked by date.
* You may also pay the fee by sending a check (containing a printed address) or money order made out to Houston Community College and containing the student’s HCC ID number attached to a fee payment form. The form will contain mailing instructions for the payment. Mailing the check or money order can cause a delay in the process of your application.
Step 3: Upload Documents to your F-1 Student Checklist
Your F-1 Student Checklist will be updated with the items that will need to be uploaded.
- Log in to your account on the HCC Student System
- In Student Homepage, click on Checklists
- Click on the F-1 Student Checklist to upload the required documents (If you do not see an F-1 Student Checklist, please send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org with your HCC student ID, "DEFERMENT," and semester you're applying for, written in the subject line. Check your account again within 3 business days, and the F-1 Student Checklist should now be available.)
* Monitor your F-1 Student Checklist for additional documents that may be required.
Step 4: Choose Mailing Option for Receiving I-20
Once the office receives all of your documents, you should wait at least 10 business days for processing of the SEVIS Form I-20. This time will vary depending on when the application is submitted and how many applicants there are at that time. Applications are processed in the order they are received.
You will receive an email once the SEVIS Form I-20 is processed, and we will send it out as instructed on your I-20 application.
There are 2 options available for the mailing of your acceptance letter and I-20:
- Regular Overseas Mail — Overseas mail takes 4-6 weeks. If you want your I-20 sent by regular overseas mail, no response is required. Your I-20 will be sent by regular overseas mail to the address indicated on your application. Please do not e-mail us to confirm your overseas address.
- Express Mail — With this option, you will receive your I-20 within 5 days after processing. Express mail is at the expense of the student. To select express mail, visit the following webpage and follow the instructions: International Express Mail