The Houston Community College Veterans Academy is designed to help you, as a Veteran, through your academic career by providing academic and student success services. The Veterans Academy wants to assist you with using your military education and experience to “fast-track” into civilian certificates and degrees to begin your healthcare career as soon as possible.
Find out more about each program:
- Emergency Medical Services – Paramedic Certificate Level I
- Licensed Vocation Nurse
- Medical Assistant Certificate Level II
- Pharmacy Technician Certificate Level II
* Contact a Veterans Academy Case Manager for VA benefits and scholarship information to pay for these programs
Veterans Academy Advantages
- Shortened program completion for certificates
- College credit for prior military experience, education and training
- Industry recognized credentials
- Extensive academic support and and guidance
HCC Veterans Academy Admissions Process
All Veteran students choosing to attend Houston Community College must complete and the admissions application prior to enrollment. Please follow the following steps to complete the admissions and enrollment processes:
- Complete & submit the HCC admissions application by visiting hccs.edu/apply
- Complete the Veterans Academy Intake Form.
- Complete the the online Veteran & Military-Affiliated Certification Request Form (VMACR) and the HCC VMASS Checklist of Instructions for the benefits that you will be receiving.
- Obtain official transcripts from any other university, college or military institution you’ve attended – visit jst.doded.mil to access military transcripts. All transcripts should be submitted to:
Houston Community College Office of
Admissions and Records P.O. BOX 667517, Houston, TX 77266
- Visit with a HCC Veterans Academy Case Manager at 6815 Rustic Street, Angela Morales Bldg. room 105, Houston, TX 77087, to submit all required and completed documents, or you can email them to firstname.lastname@example.org
Forms & Checklists of Instructions
- Statement of Intent & Change of Residency Petition Submit online v8
- - For all new and returning students, the Veterans Affairs Certification Request Form must be completed every semester to be certified for all programs.
*This form must be submitted every term that you enroll. This form must also be submitted when there is a change in your enrollment (add, drop, swap, class cancellation, and withdrawal).
- Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act FERPA
Participant Eligibility Requirements
To be eligible to receive services from the Veterans Academy an individual must:
- Be eighteen (18) years of age or older;
- Be a United States (U.S.) citizen or a noncitizen authorized to work in the U.S.;
- If male, meet U.S. Military Selective Service registration requirements;
- Be a veteran who served in the active military, naval, or air service, and who was discharged or released under conditions other than dishonorable as specified at 38 U.S.C., Section 10(2); (active services include full-time duty in the National Guard or a Reserve Component other than full-time for training purposes); or be an active duty servicemember: a member of the uniformed services, as that term is defined in 10 U.S.C. § 101(a)(5); and
- Be a Texas resident or willing to relocate to Texas.
Veterans Education Benefits
Listed below are the Educational Benefit Programs offered by the Federal Department of Veteran Affairs, which can be utilized when enrolled at HCC:
- Chapter 33 (Post 9/11 GI Bill) - All veterans who served on active duty after 9/11/2001 may qualify for this benefit.
- Chapter 30 (Active Duty) - Veterans who entered the armed services after July 1, 1985 and elected to contribute $100 per month for the first 12 months of their enlistment.
- Chapter 1606 (ARNG & Reserve) Students currently serving a minimum 6-year enlistment with the Reserve or Army National Guard.
- Chapter 1607 (REAP) Activated ARNG/Reserves - Students whose Reserve or ARNG unit was activated to serve in Global War on Terrorism.
- Chapter 35 (Dependents) - Dependents (including spouses) whose parent (wife/husband) served on active duty and were 100% permanently disabled as a result of active duty or was missing or killed in action.
- Chapter 31 (Service-Connected Disability) - Veterans who received a service-connected disability while on active duty.
- MyCAA - Military Spouse Scholarship Program- The Military Spouse Career Advancement Account (MyCAA) Scholarship is a workforce development program that provides up to $4,000 of tuition assistance to eligible military spouses.
For qualification details and to apply for these educational benefits all students seeking to use one of the educational benefits provided by the U.S Department of Veteran Affairs, must submit a VONAPP and call the VA at 1-800-827-1000 or 1-888-442-4551.
The following educational benefits are administered by other governmental agencies and can be utilized when enrolled at HCC:
- Hazlewood - Is a State of Texas benefit that provides qualified Veterans, spouses, and dependent children with an education benefit of up to 150 hours of tuition exemption, including most fee charges, at public institutions of higher education in Texas. This does NOT include living expenses, books, or supply fees.
- Tuition Assistance - The Tuition Assistance (TA) program provides financial assistance for voluntary off-duty education programs in support of a Soldier's professional and personal self-development goals.
- You are considered a guest student if you are currently (or will soon be) enrolled at another college and are taking courses at HCC. Guest students take HCC courses to fulfill their parent institution's degree requirements.
Prior Learning Assessment
The Veterans Academy can assist Veterans interested in earning college credits for prior learning, work and/or military experience.
Meet Your Veterans Academy Staff
- Theresa Heard, Office Manager
- Ewing James, Veterans Case Manager
- Cynthia Luna, Veterans Case Manager
Talk with us today
For further assistance, visit the HCC Veterans Academy Center located at 6815 Rustic Street, Angela Morales Bldg. room 105, Houston, TX 77087; or call 713-718-6665 to set an appointment with a case manager; or submit all required and completed documents, to email@example.com