Government Affairs to Governmental & External Affairs

Government Affairs to Governmental & External Affairs

Mission Statement

The mission of the District Office of Veterans Affairs (DOVA) is to support our Veterans and reservist students in their pursuit of higher education. The office is committed to facilitating communication among the campus offices serving veterans and reservists. Through programming and direct services, we provide veterans, reservists, and their families with a coordinated system of service delivery to insure a meaningful transition to civilian life, and a positive educational experience at Houston Community College.

Veterans Affairs Resources

Join the HCC Veterans Community

Important Information for Students

VA Service Indicator

VA Service Indicator Removal Process

HCC students using VA education benefits must submit a Veterans Affairs Certification Request each time they enroll in HCC classes. Doing so, releases the service indicator form their accounts.  The purpose of the indicator is to ensure that our office is notified once a student adds, drops, or swaps classes. Additionally, it will also minimize the occurrence of students receiving VA educational benefit debts. This indicator will automatically be placed on your account every Monday. It is removed on a first come, first serve basis.   However, all indicators are removed by the close of business daily except on weekends and college holidays.


When registration is open, all Veteran students will have one opportunity to register for classes without an impact from the hold. However, if you place classes in your shopping cart and DO NOT complete the entire enrollment process the system will recognize that you have exhausted your one opportunity and the indicator will be enforced. Then, you will have to complete another Veterans Affairs Certification Request. Another Veterans Affairs Certification Request must also be submitted when there is a change in your enrollment (add, drop, swap, class cancellation, and withdrawal).

Training Time - Basic Allowances

Training Time:

  • 12 credit hours= full time status (Regular Term & Second Start)
  • 9-11 credit hours=3/4 status (Regular Term & Second Start)
  • 6-8 credit hours=1/2 time status (Regular Term & Second Start)
  • 4-5 credit hours=less than 1/2 time status (Regular Term & Second Start)
  • 1-3 credit hours=1/4 time or less status (Regular Term & Second Start)

Summer training time:

  • 7 credit hours=full time status during the 10 week summer session
  • 6 credit hours=full time status during the Summer 1 session or S1 (8 Weeks)
  • 4 credit hours=full time status during the Summer 2 session. or S2 (5 Weeks)

Change of Degree Plan

If you change your degree plan, please meet with an academic advisor to receive a new degree plan and complete a change of degree plan form (VA Form 22-1995 or 22-5495).

You may also fax your new degree plan, along with the change of degree plan form and a cover letter, to VA Office at 713-718-8444.

Meet with an academic advisor to update your degree plan at least once each year.



Process for Graduation:

Please file for graduation through your HCC academic advisor prior to your last semester.

Meet with an advisor to update your degree plan and verify that you have completed all the necessary coursework and institutional requirements. This will show all work completed prior to the semester of graduation, courses in progress, transfer work applied to your degree, and any course substitutions and approvals.

Applications should be filed either the semester prior to or the semester in which the student plans to graduate. Students should complete the Application for Degree/Certificate online.

Combined Shape Created with Sketch.

VA • At A Glance

AcademicsStudent ServicesGet InvolvedHealth & Safety
Bookstore Advising German Initiative Health Disclosures
Dual Credit Counseling Gilman Scholarship Drug & Alcohol Prevention
Honors College Testing Requirements Rec Sports Health Insurance
Graduation Student Conduct Clubs  
Prior Learning Assessment Student Complaint Egalitarian  
Service Learning Get Help Student Life  
Transfers (Fairs) Accessibility - Ability Services MMI  
Tutoring FAQs Society of Eagle Mentors  
STEM International Students Phi Theta Kappa  
    Campus Visits  

Contact Us

District Office of Veterans Affairs

3220A Main Street, Houston, TX 77002

Hours of Operation: 8AM - 5PM Monday- Friday

The Ultimate Veteran Student Experience

Contact the District Office of Veterans Affairs Staff

NameTelephone NumberEmail Address

Kapree Thomas, Certifying Official

(Chapter 33:  A, B, C, J, L, M, N, Q, S, V, X, Y, Z)

(Chapter 31, Tuition Assistance, MyCAA)


 Kiki Hebert, Certifying Official

(Chapter 33: G, I, K, Ra-Rl, T, U, W)


 Paul Calhoun, Coordinator

(Chapter 33: D, E, F, H, O, P, Rm-Rz)

Brandie Maynard, VA Assistant

(Chapter 30, 35, 1606, 1607)

Lucrecia Hembree, VA Assistant



Apply for HCC Admission

We're excited that you're joining the HCC Veterans community.

Our Veterans Resource Centers are here to help you with any questions or needs. You may also contact our Veterans Call Center at 713-718-8522 or email

Complete the HCC Admission Application.

Apply for VA Educational Benefits by Submitting the VONAPP

All students seeking to use one of the educational benefits provided by the U.S Department of Veteran Affairs, must submit a VONAPP and call the VA at 1-800-827-1000 or 1-888-442-4551.

  • Chapter 33 (Post 9/11 GI Bill) - All veterans who served on active duty after 9/11/2001 may qualify for this benefit.
  • Chapter 30 (Active Duty) - Veterans who entered the armed services after July 1, 1985 and elected to contribute $100 per month for the first 12 months of their enlistment.
  • Chapter 1606 (ARNG & Reserve) Students currently serving a minimum 6-year enlistment with the Reserve or Army National Guard.
  • Chapter 1607 (REAP) Activated ARNG/Reserves - Students whose Reserve or ARNG unit was activated to serve in Global War on Terrorism.
  • Chapter 35 (Dependents) - Dependents (including spouses) whose parent (wife/husband) served on active duty and were 100% permanently disabled as a result of active duty or was missing or killed in action.
  • Chapter 31 (Service-Connected Disability) - Veterans who received a service-connected disability while on active duty.
  • MyCAA - Military Spouse Scholarship Program- The Military Spouse Career Advancement Account (MyCAA) Scholarship is a workforce development program that provides up to $4,000 of tuition assistance to eligible military spouses.
  • Hazlewood - Is a State of Texas benefit that provides qualified Veterans, spouses, and dependent children with an education benefit of up to 150 hours of tuition exemption, including most fee charges, at public institutions of higher education in Texas. This does NOT include living expenses, books, or supply fees.
  • Tuition Assistance -  The Tuition Assistance (TA) program provides financial assistance for voluntary off-duty education programs in support of a Soldier's professional and personal self-development goals.
  • Guests/Concurrent Student- You are considered a guest student if you are currently (or will soon be) enrolled at another college and are taking courses at HCC. Guest students take HCC courses to fulfill their parent institution's degree requirements.

Submit Required Documents to Begin using your Approved Educational Benefit

There is a HCC Checklist of Instructions available for your approved educational benefit.  Please view the Forms and Checklists page to learn more about the documents required to begin using your approved educational benefit.

Complete Academic Processes

Visit with any HCC Academic Advisor to discuss:

Testing Requirements and Review degree plans

Advisors Locations:

  • HCC District Office of Veterans Affairs
  • HCC Central College
  • HCC Coleman College
  • HCC Northeast College
  • HCC Northwest College
  • HCC Southeast College
  • HCC Southwest College