Loans at HCC are offered through the William D. Ford Federal Direct Loan Program, which issues loans directly from the federal government. HCC encourages you to review all information about loans before deciding to borrow and to borrow only what you need. Available loans include:
- Federal Direct Stafford Loans
- Federal Direct PLUS Loans
- HCC does not offer Federal Perkins or Private Loans.
Current federal loan interest rates.
How to apply
The first step in applying for any financial aid at HCC, including grants, loans, scholarships and work study, is to complete the FAFSA (Free Application for Federal Student Aid). If you are a first-time borrower at HCC, you will be required to:
- Accept or decline the loans offered to you based on your eligibility.
- Complete Federal Direct Stafford Loan Entrance Counseling, which explains your rights and responsibilities as a loan borrower.
- Complete your Direct Loan Master Promissory Note (MPN).
Reminder: All loan paperwork [Revision Requests, Master Promissory Note, and Loan Entrance Counseling] must be completed before loans can be processed. **
In order to receive loans funds for the semester, the student loan requirements (noted below) must be completed approximately 30 days prior to the end of the semester .
Information for exiting Stafford borrowers: If you are graduating, withdrawing, or dropping below half-time, complete Federal Direct Stafford Loan Exit Counseling. HCC will receive the results the next business day. Your academic records will be on hold until this is completed.