The Houston Community College Engineering Center of Excellence and the MdBio Foundation have created a mentorship program for HCC engineering students to connect with Houston middle school students who participate in the Verizon Innovative Learning explorer lab Exploring Engineering program during Spring 2019.
- Apply online – Deadline February 3rd or until all positions have been filled
- Write a short paragraph explaining why you would like to mentor middle school students into engineering careers.
- Have completed at least 1 HCC engineering class with a 3.0 or better, i.e.: Introduction to Engineering class
- Secure a statement of recommendation from a HCC faculty or staff member
- Complete interview
- HCC mentors: 10 – 15 HCC engineering students will be selected to participate
- Enjoy working with students in grades 6-7
- Enjoy STEM (Science, Technology, Engineering and Math)
- Have access to transportation to each location
- Recognition that all people have strengths and they need to discover and use them.
- $18 an hour – minimum commitment of 2 hours
- The Mobile Learning lab will schedule time at various schools/locations in the Houston area. Each mentor will select the dates and locations based on availability.
- Make a difference in the life of youth in your community.
- Learn about yourself, personal growth.
- Earn money sharing your time and expertise.
- Give back and contribute to the community.
- Have fun!