Peer Mentoring at HCC
Being a very independent and self-motivated person, I never thought I would use a mentor but my mentor encouraged me helped me to understand how important it is to have a planner. I am very grateful and I wish we can have a mentor every semester.HCC Student
What is a Peer Mentor?
Peer mentors are student leaders that serve as positive role models, working closely with first-year students in and outside of the classroom to help them achieve success at HCC. Peer mentors are experienced students that serve as a resource, a helping hand, a sounding board, and a referral service. The Office of Success and Completion collaborates with HCC instructional and student services areas to provide support through peer mentoring to students in and outside of the classroom. Peer mentors are also available to assist students in the college Learning Centers across the system.
Mentors Help You By:
- Providing you with one-on-one attention in discussing your class assignments
- Ensure that you complete your academic planner
- Helping you explore strategies for success
- Connecting students with important HCC resources, services, and programs
- Making appropriate and timely referrals
Want to become a peer mentor?
If you are interested in joining our great team of mentors, you must meet the following eligibility requirements:
- Be enrolled in at least 6 hours at HCC, in a plan leading to a degree or certification
- Not a recipient of an athletic scholarship (i.e., the student is obliged to play an intercollegiate sport as a condition of receiving the scholarship) during any semester in which the student is awarded Work-Study Mentorship Program funds
- Be a Texas resident for one year
- Be registered with Selective Service, or be exempt
- Have financial need
- Not enrolled in a seminary or other program leading to ordination or licensure to preach for a religious sect or to be a member of a religious order
- Have a GPA of 2.5
- Have completed all required developmental courses