Update for Fall 2020 Semester
Jul 24, 2020
As Houston Community College (HCC) nears the end of the Summer semester and plans for Fall 2020, we continue to monitor the COVID-19 pandemic with your safety being our primary consideration. During the course of our planning efforts, your feedback – shared via surveys and other mediums – has been an integral part of our decision-making. Thank you for your responses and help as we navigate our way to the Fall 2020 semester.
The COVID-19 Risk Level for Harris County remains Level 1 (or Red), and factoring the recent announcements of our independent school district partners, made adjustments to our Fall plans that include the following:
- Fall semester will still begin on August 24, but all classes will meet remotely for the first six weeks.
- For Flex Campus and Lab-based courses, this means classes will meet at the times and dates students enroll, but class will be held online.
- Online on a Schedule and Online Anytime courses are not impacted because they are already online only courses.
- Faculty teaching Lab-based and Flex Campus courses can return to campus to begin preparing for in-person instruction on September 28
- In-person instruction for Lab-based and Flex Campus courses will begin on October 5. Facilities will re-open to students, faculty and staff participating in these courses.
- In-person class sizes will be restricted to no more than nine students per class.
- Everyone will be required to follow safety protocols while on campus, including wearing face coverings and passing individual screenings.
- Decisions about any support and student services re-opening for in-person access will be made closer to October 5.
Our existing plans are subject to change, as conditions in the Houston region evolve. If changes occur, we will provide updates to ensure that you are aware and can make the necessary adjustments. Remember, our nextLearning options for Fall are designed for this scenario. They provide flexibility to adjust when needed, while still meeting your educational needs with safety-first in mind.
While our hope was to begin the Fall semester with campuses re-opened, we believe our current decision is prudent in light of the circumstances created by the COVID-19 pandemic. As we approach the Fall semester, under the adjusted plan identified above, please take time to examine this video which highlights safety measures and protocols designed to keep everyone safe when campuses do re-open.
We acknowledge that these are challenging times, but know that the diligence and perseverance of our HCC family – moving together – will positively carry us through these difficult circumstances. Together we are stronger. Together we will succeed. Together we are HCC.
Cesar Maldonado, Ph.D., P.E.