Changes to Start of HCC Fall Semester
Aug 16, 2021
(Updated memo with new changes was sent September 1, 2021. Click here to read.)
With COVID-19 levels in the Houston area continuing to rise, HCC is taking additional action to safeguard our community for the start of the Fall 2021 semester. Campus locations will continue to be open, and classes will still begin on Monday, August 23. However, there will be some changes in effect for at least the first four weeks of the semester which will likely impact you.
- Most in-person and hybrid/hybrid lab courses will be conducted as “Online on a Schedule” for the first four weeks. All in-person academic courses will be conducted remotely as Online on a Schedule until September 20, after which time we expect to transition back to in-person instruction. This means that on the first day of class you will login to Canvas instead of coming to campus for these courses. Workforce, Health Sciences, and ESL courses will continue as scheduled with in-person instruction starting August 23, unless stated otherwise by the course instructors. If you are not sure which category your courses are classified as, please reach out to your faculty members for clarification.
- On-campus student support services will be reduced. Students will continue to have access to all support services virtually through the HCC Virtual Lobby. On-campus support services (advising, counseling, enrollment, financial aid, tutoring, library services, etc.) will be limited and will vary by campus depending on available resources. Specific information about hours of operation and services available at each campus can be accessed on the HCC Soar Safe Pledge Remember schedules can and do change, so check the Locations webpage frequently.
- Everyone is asked to take the HCC Soar Safe Pledge. While masks are not currently mandated, nor are students, faculty and staff required to get the COVID-19 vaccine, the College does strongly recommend everyone in our community take every available precaution to keep themselves and those around them safe. Which is why we have created the HCC Soar Safe Pledge – five actions we can all take to protect ourselves and our community.
- Wear a mask
- Wash your hands
- Watch your distance
- Stay home if you are sick
- Get vaccinated
Learn more about the HCC Soar Safe Pledge, including how we will recognize and reward those who take the pledge.
- Screening at campus locations will be reinstituted. All students, employees and visitors will be required to complete HCC’s screening process before accessing HCC’s buildings. The number of screening stations at each campus will vary. Information about where screening stations will be located will be shared later this week.
- Starting Sunday, August 22, students will receive a daily pre-screening email to their HCC student email address. Students should complete this pre-screening any day they plan to go to campus before they arrive. If you do not see the message in your inbox, please check the “clutter” folder. For information about accessing your HCC student email, click this link.
We recognize these changes may present an inconvenience for some; however, our priority remains the health and safety of our students, faculty and staff. We will continue to monitor the situation closely and will share another update about COVID and our operational plans on Monday, August 30. Remember to continue to monitor your email, HCC’s COVID-19 website (where past communications can also be accessed) and social media channels.
While this is not how we hoped to start our Fall semester, we look forward to welcoming you to HCC and starting the semester strong. Thank you for your support and understanding.