IDEAS Educator Program
Alief ISD Teachers Apply for IDEAS Educator Program through May 31st!
Join Our Crew!
The West Houston Institute will be expanding the IDEAS Academy program at Alief ISD in 2021-22. As part of this initiative, we are hiring two Alief high school teachers to become IDEAS Educators and help us grow the community at their campus. We will be accepting applications through May 31, 2021. Please consider joining us if you are ready to help students gain the know-how to take on today's global challenges and build a more responsible, equitable, and livable future!
About IDEAS Academy
IDEAS Academy has led cohort programs for Alief Early College High School and HCC students since 2018. "IDEAS" stands for Innovation, Design, and Entrepreneurship in the Arts and Sciences. Students who participate in our programs gain a foundational understanding of creativity and innovation, learn how to use design thinking to develop real-world projects, and practice startup entrepreneurial approaches to implement them in the world. Students also learn how to use WHI's IDEAStudio, which includes 3D printing, electronics, audiovisual, virtual reality and other technologies, to turn their ideas into reality. This combination of developing student creativity, using digital tools, and solving real-world problems is at the core of the IDEAS Academy approach.
What is the opportunity?
Two teachers will be selected to receive stipends up to $4,000 each for the 2021-22 school year to:
- Become IDEAS Educators for the West Houston Institute, HCC's innovation hub
- Establish an IDEAS Academy student cohort program at their campus
- Cultivate a campus community of innovation and social impact among teachers and students
- Turn their campus and community into a living lab for creating sustainable and resilient solutions to local problems
What are the eligibility requirements?
Interested teachers should meet the following criteria:
- Current Alief ISD high school teacher
- Approval of your campus principal and department chair
What would be my commitment?
If you are selected, you will be committed to the following activities over the next year:
- Participate in summer professional development (TBD) where you will be introduced to the West Houston Institute mission, vision, and values and will be provided with the support and tools you need to prepare yourself to start IDEAS Academy at your campus.
- Develop a multi-disciplinary real-world challenge that address global issues with local impact, using the UN Global Goals for Sustainable Development and Houston's Climate Action and Resilience plans.
- Recruit students for your inagural cohort in early September in coordination with WHI and your campus administration.
- Organize participation in a kick-off event for all cohorts at the West Houston Institute in October 2021
- Schedule and lead weekly two-hour sessions with your student cohort on your campus.
- Coordinate visits to WHI to utilize the IDEAStudio makerspace and other facilities for training and project work.
- Create a lesson plan for your challenge that can be shared and used by other faculty at your school.
- Host at least one campus-wide event, such as a speaker or workshop, to engage your school in the challenge.
- Participate in regular facilitator meetings led by IDEAS Academy Program Coordinator.
West Houston Institute