Undocumented Students

Undocumented Students

Texas State Law states that undocumented students can be admitted to the college and be considered a resident of Texas for tuition purposes if the undocumented student resided in Texas, and met the conditions listed below:

  • Graduated or will graduate from a Texas public or private high school or received the equivalent of a high school diploma in Texas;
  • Resided in Texas for 36 months leading up to graduation from high school or receiving the equivalent of a high school diploma;
  • Have resided or will have resided in Texas for the 12 months prior to the census date of the semester in which the student will enroll in the college.
  • Sign the Affidavit of Intent to Become a Permanent Resident provided by the college that states the student has filed or will file an application to become a permanent resident at the earliest opportunity the student is eligible to do so.

If the student does not meet these criteria, the student may still enroll, but will be classified as out-of-state for tuition purposes.

Additional Requirements for Non U.S. Citizen Students
A non U.S. citizen who is living in the U.S. under permanent resident status, an appropriate visa, or who has filed an I-485 application for permanent residency and has been issued a notice of action from USCIS showing the I-485 has been approved has the same privilege of qualifying for resident status, for tuition purposes, as a U.S. citizen. Anyone permitted by Congress to adopt the United States as their domicile while living in this country is afforded
the same privilege as citizens and permanent residents to establish Texas residency for tuition purposes.

For more information on residency or to see the list of approved documentation, visit - http://www.hccs.edu/applying-and-paying/residency-information/