Student Life and Recreational/Sports

Student Life and Recreational/Sports

The Student Life and Recreational Sports Offices offer activities and programs that extend students’ personal and intellectual growth. Some of the activities include: student government; student associations; clubs and organizations relating to student interests; honor societies; student publications (The Egalitarian and organization newsletters); recreational and intramural sports as well as cultural, social, educational and leadership development activities. To get involved, visit

The Testing Center is responsible for the administration of various assessment tests to incoming and current students for the purpose of determining course placement. Testing schedules will vary, and not all tests are available at each college. For a list of testing center locations and hours of operation visit:

Special accommodations and testing centers are available for those who qualify. HCC students with a qualified disability seeking accommodations under the ADA should contact one of The Ability Services Offices located at each of our 6 colleges. For the list of counselors and their contact information visit:

Student Complaints
Houston Community College is committed to providing an educational climate that is conducive to the personal and professional development of each individual. In order to ensure that commitment, the College has developed procedures for students to address their concerns within the college community. A student who has an unresolved disagreement with a faculty or staff member, another student, or a student group, or is dissatisfied with the service they received, may initiate a complaint without prejudicing his or her status with the College. It is the goal of HCC to assist all students in efficiently resolving their concerns.
Students should refer to the HCC policy or process for specific types of complaints/appeals:

Complaints not related to the issues noted above should follow the Non-Academic Student Complaint Policy (see Board Policy FLD (Local)) at
Students who have not been able to resolve their concern informally, may file a formal written complaint. Refer to one of the processes listed above based on the type of concern the student has and then submit a formal complaint at:

For assistance in determining the correct procedure to follow or to identify the appropriate dean or supervisor for informal resolution, students can contact the Dean of Student Development at their campus for assistance at:
Per the Texas Higher Education Coordinating Board (THECB) codified rules under Title 19 of the Texas Administrative Code, Sections 1.110 – 1.120, after exhausting the institution's grievance/complaint process, current, former, and prospective students may initiate a complaint with THECB. Refer to THECB web site for details on this process at:

The Southern Association of Colleges and Schools Commission on Colleges (SACSCOC) publishes a Policy Statement on Complaint Procedures Against Its Accredited Institutions. Students, employees or others may initiate a complaint on alleged violations of SACSCOC Principles of Accreditation, the Core Requirements, and policies or procedures, as well as address possible violations of an institution’s own policies and procedures, if related to the Principles. Refer to the Policy Statement for details on this process at