Fire/smoke alarms: When fire or smoke is detected
- Pull fire alarm and call Police at 713-718-8888 or 911.
- Shut doors, close windows, and turn off lights.
- Evacuate to designated Safe Area. Assume all alarms – fire, smoke, and carbon monoxide – are real.
- Follow appropriate/safe evacuation routes. Take alternative exit routes if necessary.
- Do not re-enter buildings until declared safe by emergency personnel.
- In smoke, stay low to the floor and exit the building quickly and calmly.
- Cover your nose and mouth with a wet cloth.
- Use fire extinguishers if safe to do so.
- Test closed doors for heat with the back of your hand or forearm on the lower and upper portions of the door. If it is hot or warm to the touch, do not open and seek an alternate escape route.
- Never use water on an electrical fire.
- If caught in smoke, drop to your hands and knees and crawl; breathe shallowly through your nose and use your clothing as a filter.
- If you must move through flames, hold your breath, move quickly, cover your head and hair, keep your head down and close your eyes as much as possible.
- If you clothes catch fire stop, drop, and roll until the fire is out.
- If you are in a room and cannot escape, leave the door closed, stay low to the floor and hang a white or light-colored cloth outside the window.
If you see smoke, smell something burning, or suspect there is a fire, follow the R.A.C.E. plan
R = Rescue persons in immediate danger.
A = Alarm: activate the fire alarm pull box and dial 911.
C = Contain: contain the fire by closing doors and windows.
E = Extinguish: retrieve a fire extinguisher and extinguish.
FIRE EXTINGUISHER USE
P = Pull the pin.
A = Aim at the base of the fire.
S = Squeeze the handle.
S = Sweep side to side.