Peer Mentoring at HCC
Being a very independent and self-motivated person, I never thought I would use a mentor but my mentor encouraged me helped me to understand how important it is to have a planner. I am very grateful and I wish we can have a mentor every semester.HCC Student
What is a Peer Mentor?
Peer mentors are student leaders that serve as positive role models, working closely with first-year students in and outside of the classroom to help them achieve success at HCC. Peer mentors are experienced students that serve as a resource, a helping hand, a sounding board, and a referral service. The Office of Success and Completion collaborates with HCC instructional and student services areas to provide support through peer mentoring to students in and outside of the classroom. Peer mentors are also available to assist students in the college Learning Centers across the system.
Mentors Help You By:
- Providing you with one-on-one attention in discussing your class assignments
- Ensure that you complete your academic planner
- Helping you explore strategies for success
- Connecting students with important HCC resources, services, and programs
- Making appropriate and timely referrals
Want to become a peer mentor?
If you are interested in joining our great team of mentors, you must meet the following eligibility requirements:
- Must be a student enrolled at least half-time in a program leading to a degree or certificate
- Must be a Texas resident for one year
- Must provide proof of financial need
- Must have a GPA of 2.8
- Must have completed all required developmental courses
- Must have completed mandated coursework with a grade of B or better
- Must be able to work a minimum of 10 hours per week, up to 19.5 hours per week.