Houston Community College’s Alternative Teacher Certification Program (ATCP) is an approved Educator Preparation Program (EPP) that offers training beginning in spring, summer and fall. Applications are accepted year round.

Before you apply, please read through the entrance requirements and identify the subject area and grade level (s) you would like to seek certification.

Step 1: Submit documentation

Submit an online college application

Submit your Continuing Education application online at

This will provide you with an HCC Student ID #.If you already have an HCC Student ID #, please update your personal information and contact information after you login to the HCC Student System at


Submit a program application

Complete the Alternative Teacher Certification Program Application. Submit via email (with signature) at or mail to the ATCP Office along with any other supporting documentation by deadline. 

All submitted admissions materials will become the property of HCC-ATCP. Applications are held for one year. If not enrolled within the year, you must re-apply. 



Submit current copy of résumé in preparation of the admissions interview.


Official Transcripts

In order to determine your eligibility for the teacher certification program, please submit an official transcript from all colleges or universities you previously attended. HCC official transcript is not required.

If you have a college transcript from a country outside of the United States, your transcript must be evaluated by a foreign credential evaluation service

Please request that an official (sealed) transcript be mailed to HCC’s ATCP Office. Electronic transcripts are accepted; however, a hard copy is preferred. Electronic transcripts should be sent to All materials submitted will become property of Houston Community College – Accelerated Teacher Certification Program. 

ATCP will use unofficial transcripts for initial processing. However, a transcript hold will be placed on your record until an official transcript is received by orientation. 


TExES PACT Score Report(s) (if applicable)

How do I know if I need to complete the Pre-Admissions Content Test (PACT)?

  • If you do not have sufficient coursework to meet the prerequisite requirements, take and submit a passing score on the content examination through the Pre-Admission Content Test (PACT) TExES Program. Submit proof of exam registration if results are not yet available.
  • If you would like to take advantage of taking the content exam prior to admissions,

Please note, once formally admitted to our educator preparation program, you will not be eligible to complete the content exam prior to admissions through the PACT TExES Program. This option is only available prior to admissions. Once admitted, test approval is granted after candidate has demonstrated readiness to test. This is met upon successful completion of an appropriate test preparation session


TOEFL Exam Score Report (if applicable)

How do I know if I need to complete the TOEFL exam?

  • All teacher candidates must demonstrate oral communication skills in the English language.
  • If you completed an undergraduate or graduate degree at a regionally accredited institution of higher education in the United States – you are exempt and not required to complete the TOEFL exam.
  • If you earned an undergraduate or graduate degree outside of the United States and the primary language of instruction was English, you must provide a letter on university letterhead stating the primary language of instruction at the university is English. If this letter is provided and the primary language of instruction is English – you are exempt and not required to complete the TOEFL exam.
  • If an undergraduate or graduate degree was earned outside of the United States and the primary language of instruction was NOT English – TOEFL scores are required. 

If not exempt from the TOEFL exam, you must submit a passing TOEFL score of 79 on the Internet-based (iBT) exam. A minimum score of 26 on the Speaking portion is required. 

For information on the TOEFL iBT test, visit ETS-TOEFL. The Destination Code (DI) for HCC is 6296.


TSI Assessment Score Report (if applicable)

How do I know if I need to complete the TSI Assessment?

  • Not all students are required to complete the TSI Assessment.
  • If you graduated with an associate’s degree or higher from an accredited institution of higher education in the United States, you are not required to complete the TSI Assessment.
  • If you graduated with an associate’s degree or higher from an accredited institution of higher education outside of the United States and submit an official foreign credential evaluation, you are not required to complete the TSI Assessment.
  • If you meet any of the exemptions for TSI, you are not required to complete the TSI Assessment.

If not exempt from the TSI Assessment, before you sign up for the TSI Assessment, you are required to complete a Pre-Assessment Activity.

Once you have obtained a testing referral form, visit one of HCC’s Testing/Assessment Office at a campus near you to complete the assessment test.


Receipt of $75 application fee (non-refundable)

Submit a completed Program Fees form and payment in-person at the HCC-Central Business Office. The Business Office will provide receipt. Please submit receipt with your application and documentation.


Apply for financial aid and/or scholarships

Visit the Continuing Education Financial Aid Website for any available scholarships or grants approved for the Accelerated Teacher Certification Program. Individuals may qualify for financial assistance as listed at


Bacterial meningitis vaccination

As a Continuing Education student, you are not required to provide a bacterial meningitis vaccination. See for details, exemptions, and forms.


Please email documents to or mail to:

Houston Community College
Alternative Teacher Certification Program
6815 Rustic St.
Houston, TX 77087-2623

All materials submitted will become property of Houston Community College – Alternative Teacher Certification Program

Step 2: Evaluation

Staff evaluation of transcripts and review of submitted documentation

Please allow 12-15 business days for processing. Missing documentation may delay process. Results of evaluation will be sent by email. To check on application status, please call 713-718-2856 or email


Step 3: Interview

Schedule structured interview

Eligible applicants will receive a phone call or email to schedule an interview. Ineligible applicants will be scheduled for an advising session.


Prepare for interview

In order to be prepared for your interview, research educational topics (i.e., discipline management in the classroom, the at-risk students, integrating instructional technology).

Dress professionally. Be punctual. 


Step 4: Acceptance

Receive admission offer via email

An email will be sent to applicants that have met all entrance requirements.


Submit formal acceptance of the admissions offer

Once accepted, the program will issue a program acceptance letter.


Step 5: Begin Training

Attend new student orientation & register for classes

Attend the mandatory orientation to obtain training schedule and further information on expectations of program.

Registration will be completed after orientation. You may register online through the HCC Student System or complete a  Continuing Education Enrollment Form and submit to the ATCP Office for processing. 


Secure payment for tuition/fees

There are several options available to you for securing payment for your tuition and fees. Please review the options below and ensure that payment is applied prior to the payment deadline for the semester you are registering for.

Financial Assistance / Scholarships: Financial aid such as loans and grants are available for eligible students through federal and state programs. Scholarships are also available for eligible students who meet certain criteria. Even if you think you may not qualify, completing applications for financial aid and scholarships may help determine what resources may be available.

Online Payment in Full: Log in with your student account and pay your full tuition and fees online, without the trouble of waiting in line to pay in person on campus.

Installment Payment Plan: HCC makes education affordable to students. Students have the option to pay tuition and fees in full or installment. HCC offers installment payment plan to students.

Forms of Payment: You can use a valid Mastercard, Visa, Discover, and American Express card to pay your full tuition and fees. You can also use a debit card with Visa or Mastercard logo but not a non-USA credit card. You may also pay online via check.

See Central Campus - Business Office for a complete list of cashiers, including contact information.


Prepare for your first semester

  • Obtain your photo ID card.

Student Identification (ID) Cards are available once a student has registered and paid for classes. Your Student ID Card will be needed for library and computer lab usage, at offices providing student services, admission to college activities, and voting in campus elections. ID cards are nontransferable and are to be held only by the students to whom they were issued.

Students are required to be in possession of their ID card at all times. All ID cards are the property of HCC and must be shown when requested by a representative of the college district. If students lose their ID cards, they should report it to the police by calling 713-718-8888 as soon as it is discovered as missing. To obtain a replacement card, please initiate the process at the college campus you attend. A nominal fee will be charged for the replacement of lost ID cards.

Who needs an HCC ID card?
All Houston Community College employees and current students must obtain an HCC photo identification card.

Why do I need an HCC ID card?

  • Employees and students must be prepared to present their photo ID upon request of a college official
  • The ID card may be used to access areas on campus
  • Receive discounts or free admission to events
  • Borrow materials from the library
  • Identification after hours or in an emergency
  • ID cards can also be used to have access to the HCC Vehicle Assistance Program

Where do I get an HCC ID card?
You may obtain your HCC ID card by visiting any of the College Campuses operating a photo ID station. Click on Hours of Operation to see time and date for a campus near you.

How long does the process take?
The process should take approximately ten (10) minutes.

What do I need to get my ID card?
If you are a student you will need to provide your student identification number (EMPLID); current student receipt, along with any one of the following:

  • Valid Driver’s License/Government Issued ID Card
  • Valid passport/Visa
  • Recent photo identification from another college/High School

What can I do with my HCC ID card?
Your HCC ID card is a multipurpose card:

  • It is your campus identification
  • It is required to access certain facilities and functions on campus
  • It is required for use of Library services
  • It is unique to you. It is not transferable and is only for your personal use. Allowing someone else to use your card or using someone else’s card is prohibited and may result in suspension of your ID card privileges and /or other disciplinary actions.

What should I do if I lose my ID card?
Students or Employees should immediately log into either Student System or HR @ Your Service and report your card lost. Complete the steps and obtain a reference number. Once you have reported your card lost/stolen/damaged, all access and privileges will be deactivated. However, you must obtain a replacement card. HCC-PD will send an email to you authorizing any badging station to replace your lost ID card.

Is there a cost to replace my ID card?
Badge Operator responsibility when cards are reported lost, stolen or damaged:

  • For cards that are reported lost or stolen within forty-eight hours, there is no charge.
  • For cards that are reported lost or stolen outside of the forty-eight hour time frame, there is a $15 replacement cost for both students and employees.
  • For cards that are reported damaged, there is no charge. The person reporting this should bring the damaged badge/pieces to the Badge Operator for destruction.

Obtain your parking permit.

All HCC students are required to display a parking permit on the dashboard of their cars.

At this time there is no charge for parking at most HCC locations and parking permits are a safety measure so that HCC Police can recognize your vehicle as one belonging to a registered student.

To get your parking permit, you must first log into the Student System. Once in the Student Center, click the "Parking Access" link in the Personal Information section located at the bottom of the page. Fill out the registration form for your parking permit and print the permit. You will need to drop by an HCC Police Department office and pick up a plastic holder. Insert the permit in the holder and display it on the dashboard of your car. The permit is good for the academic year.

For more information, please call 713.718.7557

Buy textbooks and supplies.

Students may purchase textbooks, study aids, and a wide range of novelty items and apparel at the college bookstore. Students are encouraged to purchase books prior to the first day of class. Student should bring their student ID card and class schedule to ensure that they are purchasing the correct texts. Textbooks and supplies may also be purchased outside of the college bookstore, but students should be sure to obtain the specific IBSN for each assigned book to ensure that the correct book is being purchased.

Textbooks for the program courses are only available at the Central College Bookstore.

Visit the online bookstore at

For Central College Bookstore store hours and questions, please call 713.528.0872

Access your HCC email.

Your HCC Eagle ID email address will be the only email address used for official HCC communication (e.g., financial aid, graduation, regulatory updates, etc.). It is important that you check this email address regularly for important information and communication. It is important to note, communication regarding your certification, testing, and internship will be mostly sent to the email you have designated as your official email with the Texas Education Agency. This email will mostly likely be your personal email. It expected of you as a future teacher to check your email regularly.


Email accounts are assigned to all enrolled students. HCC wants to do everything it can to improve communication between you, your instructors and other college personnel, so it is essential that you activate your email account. Find more details on the Student E-mail/Eagle ID page.