Transgender Awareness Week is Nov. 12-19
Nov 8, 2018
Nov. 12-19 is Transgender Awareness Week.
Here some quick facts regarding individuals who are transgendered
- 41% reported suicide attempts, compared to 1.6% of the general population
- 55% lost a job due to bias
- 51% were bullied or harassed
- 25% were physical assaulted
- 10% were sexually assaulted
- 19% were homeless
- 53% were verbally harassed or disrespected in a public place, including hotels, restaurants, buses, airports and government agencies
- 63% were seriously discriminated against, compromising their quality of life and ability to be financially or emotionally secure
HCC wants to build a culture that is welcoming and inclusive. This is one of the reasons we are participating in the Transgender Awareness Week. It is everyone’s responsibility to contribute to an environment that is respectful regardless of who we are, where we come from or where we are going.
The Office of Institutional Equity addresses concerns from students, faculty and staff regarding discrimination and harassment because of your sexual orientation, gender identity and/or expression, race, gender, national original, age, disability, religion and Veteran status.
It is important to note that HCC policy includes individuals who identify as transgender. Specifically . . . gender identity, gender expression and sexual orientation.
If you need more information about your rights, we can be contacted at:
firstname.lastname@example.org or 713 718-8271