The Fire Protection program provides courses leading to an AAS degree in Fire and Arson Investigation Technology.
Degrees and Certificates
The AAS degree in Fire and Arson Investigation Technology provides advanced training and education in fire and arson investigation techniques and topics. The curriculum includes courses from the Criminal Justice program.
In addition, please note that a student may only earn one Occupational Skills Award (OSA) per academic year.
Students will be able to:
- Identify the Basics of Fire Behavior
- Describe the Procedures for Conducting a Fire Inspection
- Create an Incident Action Plan
- Inspect the Performance of Building Systems
TSI testing required prior to first enrollment for all AAS degrees and Level II certificates.
There are 203 Fire Investigators employed in the Greater Houston Area. This number is expected to increase by 7.4% over the next four years.
- The estimated annual job openings is 11 jobs a year.
- Median Wages - $30.54 hourly, $64,000 annually
The Houston Community College System Fire Technology Department is an open-admission, public institution of higher education offering associate degrees, certificates, academic preparation, workforce training and lifelong learning opportunities that prepare individuals in our diverse communities for life and work in an increasing international and technological society.
The Fire Protection Technology Program will provide:
- Affordable and accessible education
- Workforce development
- Customized training
- Continuing education
- Specialized training
- An environment conducive to learning
- Quality instruction
The Fire Protection Technology Department will be:
- A department that is recognized for its educational excellence and its commitment to learning.
- The choice of individuals who seek academic advancement in their professional career.
- The choice of individuals who want to enhance their knowledge, skills and abilities to do a better job in serving the public.
- A leader in technology and creative education for the fire service.
- An integral part of the economic and educational life of the community through quality partnerships and responsiveness to community needs.
The Fire Protection Technology Department affirms these values:
- Commitment to learning
- Dedication to excellence
- Academic integrity
- Creative thinking
- Respect for individuals
- Respect for organizational goals
- Exceeding expectations and standards
- Appreciation for diversity
- A high regard for safety
Certification for Women
Think it's not for women? Think again!
Women are becoming more visible in the field of Fire Science and Safety Technology, drawn by good pay and ample challenges. As the need for firefighters continues to grow, Houston Community College Northeast is offering students several related degree and certificate programs.
The Basic Firefighter Certificate program is designed to meet all of the requirements of the fire-training phase of the Texas Commission on Fire Protection's minimum standards for Structure Fire Protection Personnel Certification. The total program consists of two levels of fire training: Basic Firefighter I and II. All classes are conducted at HCC's Public Safety Institute.
Call 713.718.5236 or 713.718.8370.
Classes are starting soon in the Fire Protection Technology Program.