Overview of the HCC Communications Department Internship Program
How to apply: Anyone interested must be a current Houston Community College student in good standing and/or enrolled in an internship course within their major and have completed the prerequisites prior to applying for the program. Internship requirements will include in-class and hands-on work in the District Communications offices. All International students must confirm participation eligibility with the Office of International Students prior to applying to the internship program
• Must have completed 12 semester credit hours
• Minimum 2.8 GPA
• Ability to work 12 – 15 hours per week
Print and E-Media Intern
• Enroll and/or completion of Editing and Layout and/or Web Design
• Web social media management
• Web content production
• Print production of HCC brochures and catalogs
• Video production (shooting, editing) for HCC events
• Content maintenance in HCC’s content management system
Community Development Intern
• Enrollment and/or completion of Public Relations and/or Advertising
• Assist staff with planning and executing special events
• Organize, distribute and maintain inventory of HCC specialty items
• General marketing research
• Update and maintain database of community contacts
• Update and maintain Community Development website
• Completed Portraiture I (PHTC 1353) and Illustrative Photography I (PHTC 1345)
• Serve as HCC photographer at HCC sponsored events
• Maintain and archive photography database
• Provide photography assistance on special projects
• Approval from Film/Video and Special Effects Department Chair
• Enrollment in RTVB 2386
• Assist in HCCTV studio production, editing, field reporting and associate producing as needed or assigned.
• Develop, upload and maintain video library for HCCTV and HCC website.
• Serve as Production Assistant for program shoots, including equipment operation, copy writing and producing for studio shows and broadcasts.
Public and Media Relations Intern
• Enrollment and/or completion of Newsgathering and Editing (COMM 2311) and Intro to Public Relations (COMM 2330)
• Write and edit news stories and releases
• Assist with development and production of HCC News
• Assemble media kits
• Assist with escorting, coordinating and following up on media activities
• Conduct research for news stories
The HCC Communications Internship is a non-paid internship; student may earn up to 3 semester credit hours upon completion of the program, contingent on their enrollment in an approved internship course at HCC. The deadline for applications is Monday, August 13.
Yaffe|Deutser Internship Overview of Program: Yaffe|Deutser provides internship opportunities to enhance educational experiences of students. The firm offers internships during the Spring and Fall semesters. Additionally, the firm periodically offers special programs designed for shorter periods of time as required by the firm.
Yaffe|Deutser looks forward to including HCC students in the program. The students work under supervision and have the ability to learn through work experience. Interns are required to document their experience through a series of guided daily journals and memos reflecting on bridging their academic experience with their internship experience.
Our structured internship program provides students with an overview of our firm. Students receive guidance and support to complete a variety of projects working with senior level account directors, strategists, media directors and designers. The experience varies based on the skill set and interest of the intern as well as the workload of the firm. Because we are a high functioning firm dealing with confidential and very complex business issues, we require all interns to abide by the same confidentiality and level of professionalism as all of the firm’s employees.
The firm recognizes that academic preparation through course work is the key to a successful future. However, a professional internship sets the stage for the beginning of a fulfilling career and introduces students to new professional opportunities. We have hired a number of previous interns for full time employment with the firm. At the conclusion of a successful internship, a student will be evaluated, be asked to provide a confidential evaluation and assessment on their experience, and will receive a letter of recommendation.
Creative Intern • Work with Yaffe|Deutser’s creative team on various projects and concept development for both print and electronic pieces
• Develop mock-ups for presentations to client
• Utilize Photoshop and graphic designing skills to design various pieces, including: brochures, pamphlets, posters, print and online advertisements, etc. (Ability to concept, design and/or write are assets for this position)
Communications Account Intern
• Conduct background research
• Draft documents for various projects, including: press releases, proposals, memos, and reports
• Assist with special events
• Research various online vehicles, including social networking
• Draft advertisements and other communications
• Assist with various grassroots and community based initiatives
• Miscellaneous organizational tasks that are consistent with an Account Executive
The Yaffe|Deutser Internship requires students to work a minimum of 15 hours per week. This is a paid internship; Salary: $10/hr. The deadline for applications is Monday, August 13.
Submit copy of transcript, cover letter, writing/portfolio sample and resume to:
HCC Communications Department
Attn. Moniki Specks
3100 Main, MC 1107
Houston, Texas 77002