Honors students will select from among a variety of options for honors studies. Normally, students will choose a combination of the following three options:
Honors courses have enhanced syllabi, course materials and/or methods of presentation. Each semester, HCC will offer honors sections of selected high-enrollment core curriculum courses or courses that meet the cross-cultural component of the core curriculum. Honors sections will be open to all honors students and to other qualified students with special permission of the Honors Program director and/or the course instructor. Honors sections are listed in the Schedule of Classes published each semester.
Honors Contracts in Regular Courses
Honors students may potentially enter into agreements for honors credit in any course. The honors contract is a written agreement involving the student, the student's faculty mentor and the course instructor. Honors contracts will require the student to accomplish additional objectives above and beyond the regular requirements of the course, such as (but not limited to):
- Research projects on specific problems related to the course
- Written reports on volunteer work in areas directly related to course materials
- Observations of activities related to the course (e.g., a child care center, the city council) and presentations of reports on the observations to the class
- Structured interviews with experts on key topics covered in the course
- Professional research papers on key topics covered in the course
- Compilations of bibliographies on specific questions covered by the course
- Supervised tutoring of students in the course or a related course
- Work in the lab, either as a lab assistant or on a special project
Honors students can also earn honors credit through attendance at and/or participation in approved academic conferences, colloquia, workshops, speaker series and cultural/social events.