Vacancy for HCC Trustee position in District IV and process for the Board's appointment to the position
Apr 17, 2015
To be qualified, the applicant must meet the following:
- The applicant must have resided in HCC District IV for at least six months and in the state of Texas for at least 12 months immediately preceding the appointment by the Board.
- The applicant must be a U.S. citizen, and must be 18 years of age or older.
- The applicant must not have been adjudged by a final judgment of a court exercising probate jurisdiction to be totally mentally incapacitated or partially mentally incapacitated without the right to vote.
- The applicant must not have been finally convicted of a felony without a pardon.
- The applicant must be a registered voter in Harris County, Texas.
Audio of Candidates Interviews
The following members of the public submitted a cover letter and resume for consideration by the designated deadline (listed alphabetically):
- Matt Barnes
- Dr. D. Z. Cofield
- Dr. Davetta Daniels
- Dr. Carolyn Evans-Shabazz
- Michael C. Lactson
- Marlen D. Whitley
The process the Board will undertake to fill the vacancy for HCC Trustee, District IV is as follows:
Announcement posted on the HCC website from Friday, April 17, 2015 through 12:00 p.m. on Monday, April 27, 2015 directed interested, qualified applicants could apply by submitting a cover letter and resume to firstname.lastname@example.org no later than 12:00 p.m. on Monday, April 27, 2015.
The Texas Election Code requires that the position for HCC Trustee, District IV be up for election at the next regular trustee election, which will be the November 2015 Election. The current term for HCC Trustee, District IV will also be up for election during the November 2017 Election.
The Board appointed a Selection Committee of five members who reside in HCC District IV to review the applicants and make a recommendation to the Board for consideration.
The committee members are: Elma Barrera, Jolanda Jones, Judy Long, Ramon Manning, and Beryl Shorter. The following process will be undertaken by the Selection Committee:
- Meet to interview each applicant on Thursday, May 7, 2015 between 9:00 a.m. and 5:00 p.m. at HCC Administration Building, 3100 Main, 2nd Floor in Board Office Conference Room.
- Meet to deliberate applicants on Saturday, May 9, 2015 at 3:00 p.m.
- Provide a recommendation report to the Board Chair on Monday, May 11, 2015
It is anticipated that the Board will appoint a qualified candidate to the position of HCC Trustee, District IV at a Special Meeting on Thursday, May 14, 2015 at the HCC Administration Building, 3100 Main, 2nd Floor Auditorium.
Please direct any questions to the Board Services Office at 713.718.8398.