The TRIO Educational Opportunity Center (EOC) at Houston Community College provides information regarding available financial and academic assistance to qualified adults who want to enter or continue to pursue a program of post-secondary education; to provide assistance to those individuals in applying for admission to institutions at which a program of post-secondary education is offered, including preparing necessary applications for use by admissions and financial aid officers; and to assist in improving the economic literacy of program participants. If you are interested in participating in the program and think you may be eligible, please submit an application.
The mission of the Houston Community College Educational Opportunity Center (EOC) is to provide low income, high-risk, and first generation adult learners comprehensive individualized educational supports and guidance to continue their education by empowering them to achieve their educational and career goals. EOC services are designed to assist individuals in reaching their goals by offering a variety of services to support perspective students in the postsecondary admission, financial aid, and enrollment process.
Houston Community College was recently awarded a new five (5) year TRIO Educational Opportunity Center (EOC) grant funded by the U.S. Department of Education. EOC will serve individuals in the Houston area who are high school seniors and 19 years of age or older who are interested in pursuing a post-secondary education. EOC works with all individuals that meet program eligibility criteria. Students participate by attending informational advisement sessions, tutoring and mentoring sessions as needed, college prep-test reviews, and workshops.
Workshops are presented to students on subjects such as financial aid, college entrance requirements, study skills, stress management, goal setting, and test-taking. All services are free. If you think you may be eligible for EOC services please complete an application and return them to our office.
If you have any further questions about our program, please contact Dr. LaTonya Brown at 713-718-6330.
Educational Opportunity Center
Houston Community College MC1638
Houston, TX 77087
You are eligible to participate in the EOC program if you:
- Are a high school senior and 19 years of age or older; and
- Are a U.S. citizen, national, or permanent resident or are in the U.S. for other than a temporary purpose and can provide evidence from the Immigration and Naturalization Service of your intent to become a permanent resident; and
- Express a desire to enroll, or are enrolled in a program of postsecondary education, and request information or assistance in applying for admission to, or financial aid for such a program; and
- Do not have a four-year college degree; and/or
- A veteran regardless of age if you satisfy the eligibility requirements listed above
All Services are free.
- Assistance with the completion of college admission and financial aid applications
- Career planning and counseling
- Entrance examination information
- Financial literacy and student loan default counseling
- Personal Counseling
- Information on post-secondary educational programs including trade and vocational schools
- Referrals for public assistance and services
- Referral to adult basic education and GED classes as needed
- Scholarship information and assistance
- Testing workshops
Although employment information is sometimes available, EOC is NOT a job placement service. EOC helps students who wish to apply for financial aid. The program DOES NOT provide financial assistance for educational or other purposes.