Download UST Research Topics [949 kbs]
Each year, UST faculty provide their topics of research in the form of abstract. Students go through the abstracts in order to determine the topic of research they may be interested in working.
Download HCC Faculty List [92 kbs]
Once HCC faculty have been selected, the list is posted here along with the names of the UST faculty they have been paired with. This list is usually available in August for the following academic year. Students go through the list in order to determine the faculty they may be interested in working with.
Download HCC Student Application [41 kbs]
Please go through the application carefully. Read the requirements and the duration of the program before completing the application. The deadline to receive the application is 4:00 PM, Monday, September 22, 2014.
2014-2015 Academic Year (October 1, 2014 - August 31, 2015)
HCC students interested in 2014 - 2015 STEM Research Program must:
- be U.S. permanent residents/U.S. Citizens
- be enrolled at HCC during Fall Semester 2014 and Spring Semester 2015
- have taken courses to ensure the basic knowledge needed to conduct advance scientific research
- commit time and efforts to work with the cohort and complete the project
All original applications must be mailed or hand-delivered to:
Dr. Yiyan Bai / Dr. Jyoti Wagle
LHSB 402, Biology & Physical Sciences
Houston Community College - Central
1300 Holman, Houston, TX 77004
*Students already in the program and want to continue their participation must re-apply each year.
Students must attach a copy of the transcript and one page essay discussing academic preparation and career goals to the application.
Students should review the research topics, contact the selected HCC STEM faculty with who they would like to work, provide them with a copy of their application, and discuss their academic preparation and career goals. This is an important required step in the selection process.
Once selected, students will be required to:
- attend a mandatory orientation along with their sponsoring UST and HCC faculty
- complete the required paperwork
- commit weekly time to research at HCC and/or UST
- maintain research and time records
- work with the faculty to prepare the poster and present at the UST-HCC symposium in September 2015 and other symposia and conferences