Peer Mentoring at HCC In partnership with the HCC Society of Eagle Mentors
What is a Peer Mentor?
Peer mentors are student leaders that serve as positive role models, working closely with first-year students in and outside of the classroom to help them achieve success at HCC. Peer mentors are experienced students that serve as a resource, a helping hand, a sounding board, and a referral service. The Office of Success and Completion collaborates with HCC instructional areas to provide support through peer mentoring to students inside the classroom. Peer mentors are also available to assist students in the college Learning Centers across the system.
Mentors Help You By:
- Providing you with one-on-one attention in discussing your class assignments
- Ensure that you complete your academic planner
- Helping you explore strategies for success
- Connecting students with important HCC resources, services and programs
- Making appropriate and timely referrals
Want to become a peer mentor?
If you are interested in joining our great team of mentors, you must meet the following requirements:
- Must be enrolled in 9 semester credit hours
- Must be a Texas resident for at least one year
- Must have a GPA of 2.8 or above
- Must provide proof of financial need
- Must have completed all developmental courses
- Must be able to work a minimum of 10 hours, up to 19 hours a week
Instructions on how to search and apply:
- Go to www.hccs.edu
- Click on “CAREERS@HCC” (Top of screen)
- On the right-hand side in GOLD click “Search for a job” (You may have to create a profile before applying)
- Search for the job title Texas Grant College Mentor
- Click “apply for job”
- You will receive a confirmation email
For more information, contact the Office of Success and Completion by phone at: 718-713-7713.
If you have questions about the application process contact Human Resources via email firstname.lastname@example.org or call 713-718-8565 to speak to a Senior HR Representative.
Connect - Engage - Succeed
The top priority of an academic coach is to educate you about college resources and provide strategies to help increase your opportunities to be successful at HCC.
How Can An Academic Coach Assist You?
- Provide tips for moving your plans forward.
- Help you identify and overcome barriers.
- Refer you to important college resources and services.
- Brainstorm about available resources to reach your goals and meet challenges.
For more information, contact the Office of Success and Completion by phone at: 718-713-7113.