Health Insurance Requirements and Waiver
All students holding an F-1 Visa and carrying any amount of credit hours will be automatically enrolled in and charged the premium for the Houston Community College International Student Health Insurance Plan* (the “Plan”) each semester, to satisfy the College policy about maintaining acceptable health insurance coverage, unless coverage under the Plan is waived by the applicable waiver deadline.
For detailed information about your insurance plan, visit the HCC International F-1 Student Insurance Home Page.
- print insurance ID card
- download a copy of the HCC International Health Insurance Plan Brochure
Contact Number: 1-888-622-6001
Health Insurance Waiver A waiver of coverage under the Plan may be requested online at www.studentinsurance.com/Schools/TX/HCC (click on “Waive”) with proof of acceptable alternate health insurance as follows:
I. Acceptable Alternate Health Insurance Plans:
- A government or scholarship sponsored plan that meets Houston Community College’s waiver criteria; or
- A job-based employer health insurance plan (or covered as a dependent under a job-based employer health insurance plan).
Note: individual policies (example: Plans offered online to individuals) are not considered acceptable alternate insurance and will not be accepted.
II. Waiver Criteria: Alternate health insurance plans must offer coverage that is comparable to or greater than the following criteria:
- Coverage dates must include the entire coverage period you are waiving;
- Medical benefits of at least $50,000 in US dollars for each accident or sickness;
- Policy must have an annual deductible of no more than U.S. $500 (A Health Care Spending account is not acceptable as an alternative);
- Covered benefits paid at a minimum of 75%;
- Repatriation of Mortal Remains of at least $7,500 in US dollars and Medical Evacuation of at least $10,000 in US dollars. (A nominal charge will be added to your student account for Repatriation and Medical Evacuation benefits if they are not included in an otherwise acceptable policy); and
- Policy should not exclude or unreasonably limit coverage for activities essential for students (such as a $10,000 limit on motor vehicle accidents; a 13 week benefit period).
III. Waiver Deadlines:
- For Fall 2014: September 20, 2014
- For Spring/Summer 2015: February 14, 2015
- For Summer Only (new students): June 8, 2015
Disclaimer: Acceptance of your waiver does not constitute a guarantee that your alternate health insurance plan will adequately cover any medical situation that may arise or that it is a “good” plan. An acceptance only recognizes that an Insurance Waiver Application stating that you have alternate coverage which meets the Houston Community College’s waiver criteria was received from you. Further, you agree to be responsible for advising the Houston Community College Risk Management Department or AIG, Educational Markets (firstname.lastname@example.org) in writing of any lapses or cancellation of your current policy during the semester for which you enrolled.
*Insurance underwritten by National Union Fire Insurance Company of Pittsburgh, Pa., with its principal place of business in New York, NY.