Emergency Assistance

Who do I contact if I lost personal items?

There are a few agencies who may be able to assist:

Who can I contact if I need a place to live?

Who can I contact if I need a place to live? 

  • The Federal Emergency Management Agency (FEMA) may be able to assist. Please visit www.fema.gov/how-do-i-find-place-stay.
  • For another temporary housing option, contact Airbnb at airbnb.com or call 1-415-800-5959. You may also call toll-free at 1-855-424-7262. People displaced by Hurricane Harvey are eligible for waived Airbnb service fees.

I have to attend my classes, but my children do not begin school until next week. What can I do?

The YMCA may be able to assist. Please contact www.ymcahouston.org/blog/ymca-camp-available.

Is HCC offering emergency assistance to students in need?

Yes. Swoop to the Rescue Emergency Assistance Fund was developed to help students with immediate funding needs. This fund is designed to assist students who have been affected by Hurricane Harvey and provide them with some relief during this difficult time.

The applications will be reviewed and amounts determined by HCC financial coaches.

For more information, please see the Swoop to the Rescue outline and the ‌Swoop to the Rescue student application.

Testing, Enrollment and Orientation

When do classes begin for Fall 2017?

The Fall 2017 semester is now scheduled to start Sept. 11. In-person registration is taking place at HCC campuses on Sept. 6-12. F-1 students must be enrolled in a minimum of 12 semester credit hours (at least 9 credits of face-to-face coursework). Exceptions may apply to students in their graduating semester.

Will there be a late orientation?

Yes. A late orientation has been scheduled. Here are the details:


September 22, 2017 (10 a.m. - 12 p.m.)

*Students MUST be on time for the start of orientation at 10 a.m. Those who arrive late are at risk of not being allowed to attend
*You are expected to treat orientation as if it is a class.


HCC Central Campus (1300 Holman Street, Houston 77004)
San Jacinto Building Auditorium

Available Parking

  • Student Lot 13 (Corner of San Jacinto Street and Alabama Street)
  • Student Lot 3 (Corner of San Jacinto Street and Holman Street)
  • Student Lot 9 (Corner of Crawford Street and Holman Street)
  • Parking Garage (Corner of La Branch Street and Winbern Street)

Other Considerations

  • No Children please. If you cannot find someone to watch your children during the orientation time, please contact Ronnie Turner at ronnie.turner@hccs.edu to discuss alternative options.
  • Attendance is mandatory for those who still need to attend orientation. Please contact Ronnie Turner at ronnie.turner@hccs.edu or 713-718-8454 for any questions.


My computer is destroyed. Where can I go to use a computer and print documents?

Students can use computers available in HCC libraries or computer labs. If you do not have an account to sign in on a computer, please ask library employees or other HCC staff for assistance. 

I need help to pay for ESL placement testing. Will HCC waive the fee?

ESL testing is free at Central and South Testing Centers from Sept. 5 to Sept. 12, 2017. For the address to these testing centers, please visit www.hccs.edu/programs/testing-services/

Tuition and Payment Plans

My sponsor is sending my tuition money. Can the tuition be sent directly to HCC?

Yes, you can have your tuition sent directly to HCC. More information can be found on our website at www.hccs.edu/district/students/international/faqs/.

I'm enrolled in a payment plan, but I need more time to make my next payment. Will HCC grant an extension?

Payment plans still require 50% of the balance plus the $758 health insurance fee to be paid up front, with the remaining balance to be paid in two installments. Payment or payment plan arrangements are due by Saturday, Sept. 9, 2017.

Payment plan installment due dates have been extended as follows:

  • The next installment due date has been extended from Tuesday, Sept. 5, 2017 to Tuesday, Sept. 19, 2017.
  • The final installment due date has been extended from Monday, Oct. 9, 2017 to Monday, Oct. 23, 2017.

I'm not enrolled in a payment plan, but I am still considering it. What's the deadline to enroll for the fall semester?

The last date to enroll in a payment plan for the Fall 2017 semester is Sept. 26, 2017.

F-1 Student Health Insurance

I need to access my HCC international student health insurance. Where can I find information on my policy?

Please visit the F-1 international student health insurance page for more information on your policy.

I have my own health insurance. Can I receive an extension on the deadline for filing for a waiver of coverage under the HCC plan?

The deadline to apply for a waiver for the Fall 2017 semester has been extended to September 29.

How can I contact the health insurance provider directly?

Here's the contact information and office hours for Academic HealthPlans:

AHP office hours: Monday – Friday: 8:30 AM – 5:00 PM CST

Customer Service Number: 1-855-844-3018
* AHP has a translator service. If you need help in other languages, just ask.

Email: support@ahpcare.com

Textbook Assistance

Does HCC provide textbook assistance?

Faculty members have been encouraged to provide desk copies of textbooks or make textbooks available for checkout at the library for students who are unable to buy textbooks. If you are unable to purchase a textbook, please make sure to inform the professor of that particular class for further guidance.


Maintaining F-1 status (Lost I-20, etc.)

I lost my SEVIS Form I-20. How do I get a replacement?

Please e-mail your International Student Advisor/Designated School Official (ISA/DSO), request a new I-20 and provide an address where it should be mailed. Reprint fees will be waived for requests made during September 2017.

Is there information from the Department of Homeland Security on what F-1 students should do?

F-1 students affected by the hurricane must take all necessary actions to maintain their F-1 student status, to the extent possible under the circumstances. As such, FEMA urges those in affected areas to follow the instructions of state and local officials. More information can be found on the Study in the States site at https://studyinthestates.dhs.gov/2017/08/response-to-hurricane-harvey-what-students-should-do

How can I stay informed on updates regarding F-1 students?

Please continue to visit the OISS website at http://www.hccs.edu/district/students/international/ and read e-mails from your DSO or department.  

What do I do if I lost my passport or it was destroyed?

Please immediately contact your country's nearest embassy/consulate to request a replacement passport. You must do this immediately.  


I have transportation issues. How do I get around Houston?

  • Houston Metro has resumed normal service to get you to and from your classes.
  • Uber is extending free rides to and from shelters through Friday, Sept. 8.   


How can I find an on-campus job?

Students may create an application on HCC's jobs website by visiting www.hccs.edu/careers and then selecting "Search for a job" on the right-hand side. As an F-1 student, you are eligible to work part-time (no more than 19.5 hours per week) at any HCC location.

Volunteers and Donations

Can I volunteer to help with hurricane relief efforts?

Yes, HCC is looking for volunteers. Please visit www.hccs.edu/volunteer. Once registered, a member of their team will contact you.

How else can I help assist with hurricane relief efforts?

HCC and HCC Foundation have teamed up to provide more information about ways people seeking to contribute can help via donations or volunteering. Please visit the HCC Disaster Relief Fund website for more details.