Types of Work Study

Work Study is an important source of financial aid. Opportunities are available at all campus sites year round or off-campus through participating community service organizations.

A student is awarded work study if they indicate on the FAFSA that they are interested in the work study program. All degree and eligible certificate programs are eligible. Work study awards are based upon eligibility and the availability of funds.

There are two (2) types of work-study that can be awarded to a student:

1. Federal Work Study Award- This award may be granted to students that are Residents or non-residents of the State of Texas, however will depend on the funding source.

2. Texas Work Study Award-This award differs from the Federal Work study award, in that it is restricted only, to residents of the State of Texas and to those enrolled in at least half-time (6 credit hours) enrollment.

About Work Study

Eligibility requirements per term

To be eligible for work study at HCC, you must meet these requirements each term:

  • Be a degree-seeking student or enrolled in an eligible certificate program.
  • Be enrolled in at least six credit hours throughout the term of employment. Audit classes do not count.
  • Must not owe a repayment or be in default under any state or federal grant or loan program.
  • Maintain Satisfactory Academic Progress
  • Pass HCC background check.

Application process

  1. Complete a FAFSA.
  2. Complete the Work Study Interest Form‌. After completing the Work Study Interest Form, be sure to click on "Submit" under the signature line to send the interest form to the financial aid office. If you are unable to create an electronic signature, please print the Work Study Interest Form, sign it manually, and fax it to (713)718-8196.
  3. Instructions on creating an electronic signature can be found on the Financial Aid Forms page.
  4. Students working over the summer must either be enrolled in 6 or more credits or complete an Intent to Enroll Form. Be sure to click on "Submit" above the signature.
  5. Click on Job Postings below to review the jobs available.
  6. Once you have contacted the employer to obtain an interview, visit your Financial Aid Office to obtain dates of orientations and job referral for employer.
  7. All new work study students MUST attend an orientation.
  8. A Job Referral is needed to process your paperwork for employment. 
  9. Upon completion of the above you will be directed by the Work Study Associate at the campus to complete the HCC Job Application on HCC Applicant Job Site.

Job availability

Funding for student employment is limited so positions are available on a first-come, first-served basis. View the College Work Study Handbook. View On-Campus and Off-Campus Job Opportunities.

Work hours and salary

  • Approved students can work up to 19.5 hours per week.
  • On-campus- $9.50 per hour/ Off-campus Community Service- $10.00 per hour.
  • The Work-Study Program is considered a type of part-time employment and you can not exceed 19.5 hours per week.
  • Work-Study participants are paid on a semi-monthly basis.
  • Students are awarded funds based on their financial need but are only paid for hours worked. Any unearned funds at the end of the program term are forfeited.

Pay Date Calendar

Employer Request Form

Employer Request Information for 2015-2016

On –Campus and Off-Campus forms will be available starting May 30, 2015.

We will be accepting Employer Request for On-Campus and Participation Agreements for Off-Campus for  Fall/Spring 2015-2016 Financial Aid Award year beginning May 30, 2015 and ending

February 1, 2015.

Frequently Asked Questions

What is work-study? There are two types of work-study. Federal Work-Study is federally funded and TX Work-Study is funded by the State of Texas. Both are financial aid programs that enable students to earn money (like a part-time job) toward college expenses by working on campus or off campus through approve nonprofit agencies serving the community.

How do I know if I have a work-study award? Review your financial aid offer on http://www.hccs.edu/district/students/financialaid/view-financial-aid-status/. An offer of Federal Work-Study or TX Work-Study must be accepted if you would like to work on or off campus.

What does my Work-Study dollar amount mean? If your financial aid package includes the initial maximum of $5,500 in Work-Study, that is the total amount you can earn in a Work-Study position. Your financial aid offer splits it into $2,750 fall and $2,750 spring but you can earn up to your maximum eligibility anytime during the aid year.

Can I keep working if I'm not enrolled or graduate? If you withdraw, are dismissed, or graduate, you cannot continue in a Work-Study position. It ends on the last day of your enrollment. If an employer wants to retain your services, your earnings must be paid out of the department or agencies payroll budget. You must notify your employer of you have a change in enrollment.

If I don't work do I have to give the money back? Since you don't receive the money until you earn it, and you can't earn it without having a Work-Study job, there is no money to give back.

Can I receive FWS if it is not part of my financial aid award package? If you are interested in Work-Study and you have completed the financial aid application process, please visit with the financial aid office for an evaluation of your eligibility for work-study funds. Do not inquire until you have received a financial aid package.

How much do on-campus positions pay? On-campus positions students will make $9.50 an hour for the 2014-2015 Financial Aid Year.

How much do off-campus positions pay? Off-campus jobs students will make $10.00 an hour for the 2014-2015 Financial Aid Year.

Will I receive benefits? No, work-study students are not eligible for paid vacation, sick leave, holidays, or medical and dental insurance through their work-study job.

Can I collect Unemployment if my Work-Study position is terminated or eliminated? Work-Study is a form of financial assistance and the college does not pay into unemployment for the funds received. Therefore, unemployment cannot be claimed against funding received from a work-study job.


For additional information, contact: Christina.brown@hccs.edu











Job Postings

Click to view positions on the Work Study Job Board:

Work-Study Job Board