Your financial need determines your eligibility for financial aid. Generally, to qualify for federal, state, and/or institutional assistance, you must:

  • Have a high school diploma or General Education Development (GED) certificate
  • Have a valid Social Security Number
  • Demonstrate financial need based on the results of the FAFSA
  • Confirm eligibility if you have been convicted of possessing or selling illegal drugs
  • Be enrolled in and attending classes. Most financial aid programs require at least half-time enrollment (6+ credits per term, including summer).
  • Be a degree-seeking student in an A.A., A.S., A.A.S. or eligible certificate program
  • Register with Selective Service if required
  • Maintain Satisfactory Academic Progress in your course of study
  • Document any Unusual Enrollment History
  • Not be in default on any state or federal grant or loan received at any institution
  • Be a citizen or permanent resident of the United States or trust territories
  • Certify that you will use federal student aid only for educational purposes

Federal aid is available for up to 30 remedial or developmental credits. Once a student attempts 30 remedial or developmental credits, federal aid will be awarded for college-level credits only.

For additional information regarding HCC policies, financial aid topics, health and safety, and student outcomes, please visit Consumer Information.