Financial Aid at Houston Community College
To apply for financial aid, complete a Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA). The information you provide determines whether you qualify for federal and state grants and federal loans based on financial need.
Students are encouraged to file their FAFSA application as early as possible and utilize the Data Retrieval Tool to access tax return information.
Reminder: Federal student loans are not offered in the Summer semesters
Completing the FAFSA
Information needed to complete the FAFSA
- Your Social Security Number
- Your Alien Registration Number (if you are not a U.S. citizen)
- Your most recent federal income tax returns, W-2s, and other records of money earned. (Note: You may be able to transfer your federal tax return information into your FAFSA using the IRS Data Retrieval Tool.)
- Bank statements and records of investments (if applicable)
- Records of untaxed income (if applicable)
- A Federal Student Aid PIN to sign electronically. (PIN is created on http://www.pin.ed.gov/ - duplicate can be requested)
If you are a dependent student, you will also need most of the above information for your parent(s).
Filling out the FAFSA
- Houston Community College's school code is 010422.
- As soon after January 1st as possible
- Priority deadline is April 15th
- Contact 1-800-433-3243 if a paper application is needed. Online process is highly encouraged and speeds up the process.
- Taxes not filed - Income can be estimated and later corrected.
- Taxes filed - Utilize the IRS Data Retrieval Tool to import tax information.
- Contact 1-800-433-3243 for assistance with completing the online form.
After filling out the FAFSA
- After online submission, a confirmation page will provide instructions and valuable information.
- A Student Aid Report is available 2 - 5 days after submission. Review for accuracy.
- Houston Community College will automatically receive the results as long as the school code 010422 was included in the school listing.
- Corrections can be made to add new schools codes after processed.
- Check financial aid status and to do list after May 1st. If filed after May 1st, allow one week before checking status.