Financial Aid at Houston Community College
To apply for financial aid, complete a Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA). The information you provide determines whether you qualify for federal and state grants and federal loans based on financial need.
Students are encouraged to file their FAFSA application as early as possible and utilize the Data Retrieval Tool to access tax return information.
Reminder: Federal student loans are not offered in the Summer semesters.
Completing the FAFSA
Information needed to complete the FAFSA
- Your Social Security Number
- Your Alien Registration Number (if you are not a U.S. citizen)
- Your most recent federal income tax returns, W-2s, and other records of money earned. (Note: You may be able to transfer your federal tax return information into your FAFSA using the IRS Data Retrieval Tool.)
- Bank statements and records of investments (if applicable)
- Records of untaxed income (if applicable)
- A Federal Student Aid PIN to sign electronically. (PIN is created on http://www.pin.ed.gov/ - duplicate can be requested)
If you are a dependent student, you will also need most of the above information for your parent(s).
Filling out the FAFSA
- Houston Community College's school code is 010422.
- As soon after January 1st as possible
- Priority deadline is April 15th
- Contact 1-800-433-3243 if a paper application is needed. Online process is highly encouraged and speeds up the process.
- Taxes not filed - Income can be estimated and later corrected.
- Taxes filed - Utilize the IRS Data Retrieval Tool to import tax information.
- Contact 1-800-433-3243 for assistance with completing the online form.
After filling out the FAFSA
- After online submission, a confirmation page will provide instructions and valuable information.
- A Student Aid Report is available 2 - 5 days after submission. Review for accuracy.
- Houston Community College will automatically receive the results as long as the school code 010422 was included in the school listing.
- Corrections can be made to add new schools codes after processed.
- Check financial aid status and to do list after May 1st. If filed after May 1st, allow one week before checking status.
- TAX TRANSCRIPT When applying for financial aid, you may need to provide tax account information from your (and/or your parents’) tax return or tax account transcript. Form 4506-T, Request for Transcript of Tax Return, can be used to get several types of transcripts, Form W-2 information, and verification of non-filing. In many cases, a return transcript will meet the requirements of financial aid offices or other lending institutions offering student loans. Additionally, you can order transcripts via the Transcript Toll free telephone line, the IRS2Go mobile application or via the web application on irs.gov. You can direct the documents to a third party or directly to your address of record. In some very limited instances, a copy of your (and/or your parents’) Federal Income Tax Return may be needed. Form 4506, Request for Copy of Tax Return, can be used to request a copy of your tax return.
- FOR A COPY OF TAX RETURN(S) Complete Form 4506 and mail it to the IRS address where you filed our Return. There is a fee of $50 for each year’s Return. Allow up to 60 days to receive your copy.
- FOR A TAX RETURN OR TAX ACCOUNT TRANSCRIPT A tax return transcript shows most line items contained on the return (1040 series) as it was originally filed, including any accompanying Forms and Schedules. A tax account transcript includes any later adjustments either you or the IRS made after the tax return was filed. It shows basic data, including marital status, type of return filed, adjusted gross and taxable income. Both transcripts are delivered in 10 business days, and are provided free of charge. In addition to requesting a transcript via the 4506-T, you may also call the dedicated transcript toll free line at 1-800-908-9946. The IRS2Go mobile app is available on Android and iOS (Apple) mobile devices for ordering either of these transcripts. Currently, you can visit irs.gov to use the Order a Transcript tool to have the transcript(s) mailed to the address we have on file; you may visit www.irs.gov/transcript to view your transcript online.
- FOR RECORD OF ACCOUNT TRANSCRIPT OR OTHER VERIFICATION DOCUMENTS A record of account transcript is a combination of the tax return and the tax account transcripts. It includes most line items contained on the return (1040 series) as it was originally filed, including any accompanying Forms and Schedules plus any later adjustments either you or the IRS made after the tax return was filed. Other income verification documents include Form W-2 information and verification of non-filing. These documents are delivered within 30 calendar days and are also provided free of charge. You can order any of these documents by submitting a completed Form 4506-T to the address in the instructions or by visiting www.irs.gov/transcript.
How to apply for financial aid
For additional information regarding HCC policies, financial aid topics, health and safety, and student outcomes, please visit Consumer Information.