Drug & Alcohol Abuse Prevention Program
Houston Community College (HCC) is committed to providing its students and employees a drug and alcohol free workplace and learning environment to promote the reputation of HCC and its employees as responsible citizens of public trust, and to provide a consistent model of substance-free behavior for students.
HCC prohibits the unlawful possession, use, manufacture, or distribution of unauthorized drugs and alcohol in the workplace, on the campuses, or at any HCC activities. HCC, including all of its colleges and campuses, shall provide a safe, responsive environment for all students and employees.
HCC’s Drug and Alcohol Prevention Program:
HCC has established a Drug and Alcohol Prevention Program to inform its faculty, staff, and students about the dangers of drug and alcohol abuse, penalties that may be imposed for drug and alcohol abuse violations, and available resources to combat drug and alcohol related issues. The Drug and Alcohol Prevention Program is available to all faculty, staff, and students of HCC. As part of this program, HCC has implemented several measures:
Annually, employees and students are made aware of the HCC Drug and Alcohol Abuse Prevention Program and Policy which provides access to the following information.
- Standards of conduct that clearly prohibit the unlawful possession, use, or distribution of illicit drugs and alcohol by students and employees on the school’s property or as part of any of the school’s activities
- Descriptions of applicable legal sanctions under state, local, and federal law
- Description of health risks
- Description of available counseling, treatment, rehabilitation, or re-entry programs
- Clear statement that the school will impose sanctions for violation of standards of conduct and a description of sanctions
Employees and students are informed of the program and policy by means of the website, student handbook, and electronic mail.
- New staff and faculty members are informed of the policy and program at the New Employee Orientation provided by the Human Resources Department.
- All employees are informed of the policy and program annually via electronic mail.
- Students are informed of the policy and program each semester via electronic mail.
- Drug and alcohol abuse prevention materials are also available within the college counseling centers.
- On a biennial basis, a committee chaired by the Associate Vice Chancellor of Student Success and comprised of representatives from the police department, human resources, counseling, financial aid, and student life will conduct a review of the program to assess the following:
- Determine the effectiveness of the program and implement necessary changes
- Determine the number of drug and alcohol-related violations and fatalities that occur on the HCC campuses
- Determine the number and type of sanctions that are imposed
- Ensure that sanctions are consistently enforced
Video; Macklemore on drug abuse
Macklemore talks about how his battle with drug abuse affected his creativity and his relationships, and how he got on the road to recovery. Find resources on pills here.