Parent resources

Transitioning from high school to college

High School College
The applicable law is the Individuals with Disabilities Education Act or IDEA                                    The applicable law is the Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA) and Section 504 and 508 of the Rehabilitation Act
IDEA is about success The ADA is about access
Fundamental modifications of programs and curricula are required No fundamental modifications are required - only accommodations
Education is a right and must be provided in an appropriate environment to all individuals Education is not a right - students must meet certain admission criteria
The school district is responsible for identifying a student's disability Students must self-identify
The school district develops Individualized Education Plans (IEPs) to define educational services Student must identify needs and request services - no IEP exists and is not considered sufficient documentation
The school district provides free evaluations The student must obtain evaluations at his/her own expense
Student is supported by parents and teachers Student is responsible for seeking assistance from the Disability Services Office
Primary responsibility for arranging modifications belongs to the school Primary responsibility for self-advocacy and arranging accommodations belongs to the student (who may seek assistance from Disability Services)
Personal services for medical and physical disabilities are required (i.e., Personal Care Attendant) No personal services are required - however, the Disability Services Office may assist the student in advertising for such services
Parent has access to student records and can participate in the IEP process Parent does not have access to student records without student's

Comparison Chart: high school vs. college

Parent handbook