What You Need to Know

Transcript Requests

Important: IT IS HIGHLY RECOMMENDED THAT TRANSCRIPTS BE SENT ELECTRONICALLY. Most colleges in Texas trade electronically and prefer students send their records via this method instead of hand delivering a copy to the school. Electronic transcripts will be processed quicker from our institution and at the receiving institution.

Official transcripts may be ordered online, by telephone, by mail or in person. Official transcripts cost $7 per copy if ordered online, $5 per copy if ordered by mail or in person and $17 each for phone orders. Transcripts ordered online or by telephone are generally mailed within 1 to 3 business days from the day the order is received, while transcripts ordered by mail are usually sent within 5 to 7 business days following receipt of the order.

Transcripts will not be released until all holds at the institution have been cleared.

Online Orders (available 24 hours – 7 days a week):
Houston Community College has chosen the services of Credentials Inc. to provide a Web-based transcript service. Credentials Inc. has implemented Transcript Plus® as a secure means of ordering transcripts faster and easier than in the past. To order online, go to https://www.credentials-inc.com/cgi-bin/dvcgitp.pgm?ALUMTRO010633 or click on icon below.

Transcripts Plus

*Cost is $7 per transcript. A faxed signature is required before your order can be processed.

Telephone Orders (available Monday to Thursday 7 a.m. to 7 p.m. CST; Friday 7 a.m to 5 p.m. CST):
To place an order by telephone, call (847) 716-3005.

Cost is $7 per transcript plus an operator-assisted handling fee of $10 per call

Complete a transcript order form or provide a letter including the following information: student name, assigned student number or social security number, birth date, area code and phone number, current address, email address (if available), approximate last date of attendance, quantity and name and address where transcripts are to be sent.

Cost is $5 per transcript. Turnaround time is 5 to 7 business days once the order has been received.

Checking Order Status (available 24 hours – 7 days a week)
Both online and telephone options give you the opportunity to check the status of your order. You will need to know your order number and Social Security number or your Student ID to retrieve your information.

In Person Orders/ Picking Up Transcripts
You may order and/or pick up a copy of your official transcript at any of the following locations. Transcripts are released only to the person named on the HCC record and valid identification is required. If you are picking up a transcript for someone else, you must have a signed release from the student and valid identification available at time of request.

Cost is $5 per transcript.

If You are Transferring to HCC

  • Unofficial Transcripts: We will accept unofficial transcripts of previous college work or grade reports and TSI scores for initial advisement and placement purposes. These are used to determine initial TSI status or exemption from assessment or prerequisites. However, a transcript hold will be placed on your record for the next term until an official transcript is sent to the Office of Student Records. Please electronically send or mail official transcripts to Houston Community College, Office of Student Records, P.O. Box 667517, MC 1136, Houston, TX 77266-7517.
  • Official Transcripts:While unofficial transcripts may be accepted for initial registration, official transcripts must be received within 30 days of seeing a counselor or enrolling in classes, whichever comes first. Official transcripts are needed for any of the following purposes:
    • TSI Exemption: Students who have an associate or higher degree from an accredited institution, passing ACT/SAT/TAKS scores, or 6+ semester hours of passing college-level work from a private or out-of-state accredited institution, must send an official transcript to the Office of Student Records before they enroll.
    • TSI Status: Students transferring to HCCS must provide an official transcript so that their TSI status can be determined.
    • Acceptance of transfer work: Students seeking acceptance of transfer credit toward a degree or certificate should send an official transcript to the Office of Student Records at the time their Educational Plan is filed.
    • Veterans: All transfer students seeking Veteran’s benefits must furnish the Veteran’s Office with an official transcript of all previous college work. NOTE: Official transcripts should not be sent to the Office of Student Records until an application has been submitted. Please electronically send or mail official transcripts to Houston Community College, Office of Student Records, P.O. Box 667517, MC 1136, Houston, TX 77266-7517.
  • Assessment: Transfer students who have college level work (including English and Math) may not need testing for TSI or for prerequisite purposes. Course prerequisites are met through previous coursework or appropriate testing scores. Contact the Testing/Assessment Office at a campus near you for testing times.
  • TSI Scores: Students who have taken an approved TSI test must submit an official copy of their scores to the Office of Student Records, if those scores do not appear on an official transcript.
  • Counselor: See a counselor for advising, selection of courses, and registration information, so that you can be set up for online registration.

If You are Transferring from HCC

  • Meet with an academic advisor or counselor at your community college campus to discuss your academic goals, plans, and questions. Consider completing an associates degree before transferring. Some universities give preferential treatment in admission decisions, if a student transfers after completing his/her associates degree.
  • If you need to transfer to another institution before the completion of your HCCS associate degree, you may be able to “transfer back” to HCCS your college credits from another institution in order to fulfill your associate degree requirements. In most cases, a student can “transfer back” up to 42 college-level semester hours of credit within three years of leaving HCCS to complete his/her associate degree requirements. (Note: all graduation requirements must be fulfilled. See HCCS catalog for more information.)
  • Obtain a transfer plan from your HCCS counselor. A transfer plan lists the university-required courses which can be taken at HCCS toward your university bachelor degree major. If you are undecided about your choice of university or your choice of major, see a HCCS career counselor for more help.
  • Apply for university admission and financial aid early before the university’s deadlines. Most universities have application fees. An admission application is not considered complete until all official documents are in and all fees are paid. (Note: applying early for financial aid can have a big impact on the aid you receive.) If housing is needed, application must also be made to the university’s Housing Office.
  • All academic transcripts and TSI scores/status must be sent to your university of choice by the university’s admission deadline. To have your HCCS transcript sent to your university, call the HCCS Office of Student Records. Transcripts can be sent electronically or by mail. (Note: Universities require an academic transcript from every institution attended. HCCS cannot send copies of transcripts from other schools. We can only send an academic transcript of HCCS course work.)
  • Financial Aid transcripts are also required to be sent to your university of choice. Stop by your HCCS Financial Aid office to fill out a Financial Aid Transcript Request Form.

Credit by Exam

Credit by Exam: HCC will award up to 24 semester credit hours of credit by exam with passing scores from the following nationally acceptable exams:

  1. College Level Examination Program (CLEP)
  2. Advanced Placement (AP)
  4. International Baccalaureate (IB).

Official test score reports must be sent by the test publisher to:

Office of Student Records
Houston Community College
3100 Main St., MC 1136
Houston, TX  77002

Foreign Credit

If you have a college transcript from a country outside of the United States

(Note: Official transcripts from Canadian colleges and universities do not require foreign evaluations. We will accept official Canadian transcripts directly.)

College transcripts from other countries can be used to satisfy:

  • TSI status (Students who earned at least 6 semester college-level hours from a college in another country as evaluated by an acceptable agency are exempt from the TSI law. However, a TSI test may still need to be taken for demonstrating skills in meeting course prerequisites.) If the international transcript is being evaluated for TSI status purposes only, a general evaluation for US equivalency by an acceptable agency is sufficient (see list of acceptable agencies below). A course-by-course evaluation is not needed to satisfy TSI status requirements. HCCS must have an official copy of an acceptable evaluation on file to satisfy TSI requirements.
  • Transfer of credit toward an HCCS certificate or degree. If a student is wishing to apply coursework from colleges taken in other countries toward an HCCS certificate or degree, a course-by-course evaluation by an acceptable agency is needed (see list of acceptable agencies below).
  • Official copies of acceptable evaluations: HCCS does not have the expertise or the staff to evaluate transcripts from institutions outside of the United States. Thus, HCCS requires that a student who wishes to utilize his/her foreign (i.e., non-United States) transcript for either of the above two purposes obtain an evaluation for US equivalency of his/her international coursework. HCCS must have an official copy of an acceptable evaluation on file to transfer credit toward an HCCS certificate or degree.

Acceptable evaluation agencies of international transcripts for US equivalence are listed as follows:

Evaluators in Texas:

Foreign Credential Services, Inc., Austin, TX
Phone: 512-459-8428

Global Credential Evaluators, College Station, TX
Phone: 800-517-4754

International Academic Credential Evaluators, Denton, TX
Phone: 940-383-7498

SDR Educational Consultants, Houston, TX
Phone: 713-460-3525

SpanTran Educational Services, Inc., Houston, TX
Phone: 713-266-8805

Worldwide Education Consultant Services, Inc., Houston, TX
Phone: 281-829-9243

Evaluators Out of State

Career Consulting International, Sunrise, FL
Phone: 800-771-4723

Center for Applied Research Evaluation & Education, Anaheim, CA
Phone: 714-237-9272

Education Evaluators International, Providence, RI
Phone: 401-521-5340

Education International, Wellesley, MA
Phone: 781-235-7425

Military Credit

Guidelines for Advanced Standing Credit

Military Credit Students must:
1. Access the website(s) listed below to obtain the official military transcript (sometimes called AARTS, SMART, or ACE transcript) of college work, training, and job responsibilities (NOTE: A DD-214 is not enough to evaluate credit. You must present one of the transcripts below):

• Air Force

• Army
Army/A.C.E. Registry Transcript System (AARTS)


• Marine and Navy
Sailor/Marine American Council on Education Registry Transcript (SMART)


• Ace Military Programs

2. See the counselor to obtain the Application for Advanced Standing Credit.

3. Complete the Application for Advanced Standing Credit.  There is no fee for the military evaluation. (Note: Application for military credit does not guarantee that credit will be granted).

4. Return the application to the counselor along with the official military transcript for routing to the Registrar’s Office.

Counselor then forwards the official military transcript with the Application for Advanced Standing Credit to the Registrar’s Office, MC 1136.

If you have comments or suggestions, e-mail the HCC Transfer Office.

Work and Experiential Credit

Guidelines for Advanced Standing Credit

CEU Credit
Transcripted CEU credit may be applied to Career and Technology programs and considered as elective credit on the associate degree when submitted with the official transcript, Application for Advanced Standing Credit and receipt of fee payment (does not guarantee acceptance of credit). A certificate of completion will not be accepted in lieu of an official college transcript. Note: A maximum of 21 hours of advanced standing credit may be granted as it applies to the program.

Work Experience Credit
For purposes of work experience documentation, the Chair, Counselor, or Program Coordinator must obtain from the employer a signed letter providing a detailed description of the work performed by the student, match it to the course(s) outcomes for which the student is seeking credit, and attach it to the Application for Advanced Standing Credit Form.  The aforementioned documentation, application for Advanced Standing Credit, and receipt of fee payment (does not guarantee acceptance of credit) must be submitted together for review to the Dean’s office. Note: A maximum of 21 hours of advanced standing credit may be granted as it applies to the program.

The Dean then forwards the student’s degree plan, appropriate documentation as outlined above, and the Application for Advanced Standing Credit with fee receipt to the Office of Student Records at the System Administration Building, MC 1136.