About the Program
Students new to HCC beginning with less than 12 previously completed college credit hours enroll into a student success course (EDUC 1300, HRPS 1201, ENGR 1201, LEAD 1200) in their first semester. Each student enrolled in a success course is assigned to an academic advisor and will complete advising activities as part of the First-Year Advising Program.
The student success course combined with the First-Year Advising Program helps students to gain the skills and knowledge necessary to succeed in college.
Finding Your Assigned Advisor
Advisors are assigned to first-year students enrolled in a student success course usually during the first week of the course. Typically within the first two weeks of class, the assigned advisor will visit the classroom for a brief introduction and to review expected advising activities.
Additionally, you can identify your assigned advisor by reviewing the main page of the Student Center under the Advisor panel.
Assigned advisors meet with students by appointment. You may contact your assigned advisor to make an appointment by e-mail or phone. Some advisors set appointment dates during the classroom visit.
Required Advising Activities
As part of the First-Year Advising Program, students will complete advising activities with their assigned advisor. These activities will include (but are not limited to):
- Completing two advising sessions with the assigned advisor.
- Declaring an academic program and plan (commonly known as a “major”).
as well as ...
Plotting out each course necessary for graduation.
Complete the Academic Planner.
Taking the New Student Questionnaire
- Locate the Details link from the Students "To-Do" List, and click it.
- Click the "Complete Student Questionnaire" link.
- Copy and paste the link from the "Description" section into your browser.
- Click the hyperlinked word "HERE" to proceed to the log-in screen.
- Log in by entering your "W" ID number and your date of birth. (Be sure to note the required format in the on-screen tips.)
Taking the LASSI Assessment
- Log into the HCC Student Center
- Under the "To-Do" list, click "Details."
- Click "Complete the LASSI."
- Click the link "For more information and to begin my assessment."
- Click "Start My LASSI Assessment"
- Complete your assessment, then click "Submit."
- You've now completed the assessment and can view your results. Contact your success course faculty member and assigned senior advisor to discuss your results. LASSI learning modules are available to assist you in improving in specific areas.
Completing the TypeFocus Assessment
About the TypeFocus
The TypeFocus mission is to enrich people's lives through the power of self-awareness. This information is brought into practical applications through online personality assessments. Through the program, people can gain insights into themselves and use that knowledge to develop rewarding relationships, choose satisfying careers, become more effective leaders, and live healthier and happier lives.
YouTube "Welcome to TypeFocus" Video
- Start at https://www.typefocus.com/beforelogin/home. Click on the "New Users - Click to Register" link.
- Complete the required information. You will only have to do this once. The access codes you will need for this section are as follows:
- Central = hccs22
- Coleman = hccs33
- Northeast = hccs55
- Southeast = hccs66
- Southwest = hccs88
- Distance Education = hccs99
- Re-enter with just your e-mail address and password. To log in again, click "Returning Users - Login."
- Start the Assessments: Self-Assessment, Explore Occupations, Set Goals, Job Search Tools, and Success at Work.
- When you leave the program, be sure to use the Logout button at the top right.
Additional information about advising activities, including when each should be completed, can be found in the advising syllabus. Additional activities may be required, as well.