2018 REEMS REU Application Due Date has been extended to October 19.
Sep 6, 2017
Information on Applying to the 2018 NSF REEMS REU
- 2018 REEMS REU Research Projects
- 2018 REEMS REU Application
- 2018 REEMS REU Faculty Recommendation Form
2017/2018 Research Experiences and Exploration in Materials Science Program
2018 Research Experiences for Undergraduates (REU) Overview
Center for Theoretical Biological Physics, Rice University
Department of Chemical and Biomolecular Engineering, Rice University
Department of Materials Science & NanoEngineering, Rice University
Department of Chemical and Biomolecular Engineering, University of Houston
Department of Chemistry, University of Houston
McGovern Medical School-Department of Neurosurgery,
The University of Texas Health Science Center – Houston
Texas Center for Superconductivity, University of Houston
West Houston Center for Science & Engineering, HCC-Northwest
READ EACH OF THE FOLLOWING SECTIONS CAREFULLY BEFORE YOU BEGIN THE APPLICATION PROCESS
- 2018 REEMS REU BACKGROUND INFO
- READY TO SUBMIT
- 2018 REEMS REU TIMELINE: APPLICATION TO ACCEPTANCE
2018 REEMS REU BACKGROUND INFO
The 2018 REEMS REU provides an opportunity for HCC students to participate in materials science research experiences with internationally recognized research faculty at the Texas Medical Center, the University of Houston, and Rice University over the 2018 summer term. There will be up to fourteen HCC students chosen as 2018 REEMS REU students.
Research topics include:
- solar cell fabrication and characterization
- fabrication and characterization of superconductive materials
- applied experimental and computational studies of rare earth elements
- study of physical parameters dealing with tissue and neuron regeneration
- study of nanocrystalline structures though additive manufacturing
- development of novel biodegradable polymers, and
- computational dynamics of complex biomolecular systems
A detailed listing of these research projects are described in 2018 REEMS REU Research Project Descriptions.
Students chosen for the 2018 REEMS REU will receive a summer stipend of $5,000. Stipends are distributed in three equal payments over the summer. The stipend is for student support, including payment for any incidental costs, such as parking.
To be considered for the REEMS REU:
- You must be either a United States Citizen or Permanent Resident as of the date of the application and you must submit an electronic scan of your passport, birth certificate or evidence of your permanent resident status with your application.
- You must submit an official copy of your updated Fall 2017 transcript with your application. The transcript should indicate courses you are taking for the fall term and previous semesters
- If you are chosen as one of the 2018 REEMS REU students:
- you are required to provide an official transcript by May 15 demonstrating the following:
- you must successfully complete at least 12 semester credit hours over the 2018 Spring semester and have maintained a minimum GPA of at least 3.0/4.0.
- As a member of the 2018 REEMS REU, you are expected to be at your research laboratory Monday-Friday, between 9 and 5 each day. There may be instances where you will be required to come in early or stay late and be at the lab during the weekend.
- If you are considering taking one or more summer school classes, you are discouraged from applying to the 2018 REEMS REU.
What Academic Background Do I Need to Compete for Selection?
- It is preferred that upon completion of the 2018 spring semester that each REEMS REU candidate will have completed the two course University Physics course series, the three semester Calculus series and have completed at least one semester of General Chemistry.
- For those students who have not completed the preferred course pre-requisites:
- Students who have not completed the physics and calculus series and have successfully completed the two semester organic chemistry series are strongly encouraged to apply.
- Students who have not completed the physics, calculus or math series of courses and have completed computer science and programming coursework and can demonstrate working knowledge in C++, Mat Lab, Python or similar software packages, are strongly encouraged to apply.
- In addition to completion of your REU application, two letters of recommendation from a current or past college faculty member or professional are required. In addition to the 2018 REEMS REU Recommendation Form, your references can submit additional comments that discuss your suitability for the REU program. Comments should address your motivation, your demonstrated work ethic and your academic potential.
- If you have participated in research activities in the past, it is important that one of your recommendation letters describe the specific nature of the research and your contribution to that research.
- When completing your application, pay special attention to the Statement of Purpose essay required. This essay carries significant weight in determining your acceptance into 2018 REEMS REU program.
Selecting your top 3 research project choices
After you have had an opportunity to review the Application, the program requirements and summary of the research topics, you will need to prioritize your top three choices and note your choices 1, 2 or 3 next to the respective research topic within the 2018 REEMS REU Application. It is highly recommended that you spend some time examining the research conducted by all seven-research faculty. You can locate information on their research groups on the web. In your Statement of Purpose essay, you should discuss your justification and interest in participating in any one of the three research areas. You should include a statement detailing how your current academic background provides you with the tools to become a productive member of one of the research teams.
While there is no guarantee that you will be placed in one of these three choices, every effort will be made to accommodate your interests.
Approximate Weighting of Submission Materials
- Letters of Reference 30%
- Statement of Purpose 45%
- Completion of Application 25%
All application materials, including letters of reference and support, are due no later than 5 PM, October 19, 2017. It is highly recommended that you submit your completed application & attachment documents, and ask faculty who are submitting letters of recommendation to submit all materials by Thursday, September 28, 2017.
WHEN YOU ARE READY TO SUBMIT
SUBMISSION OF APPLICATION MATERIALS:
Please electronically submit the completed application, evidence of Citizenship, or Permanent Residency, and an official Fall 2017 transcript by 5 pm, October 19, 2017.
Submit to email@example.com
Email Subject Line: 2018 REEMS REU Application [First Name, Last Name]
SUBMISSION OF LETTERS OF REFERENCE
- Download the 2018 REEMS REU Faculty Recommendation Form on the WHC website (www.hccs.edu/whc) See REU link.
- Fill in the top part of the form with your information and forward to each faculty member who will be providing a reference for you.
- Let each of the faculty members know that they should have your recommendation form submitted no later than 5 pm on October 19 with the preference to have them submitted by September 28, 2017.
- Completed letters of recommendation must be submitted by each faculty member electronically to: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Use Subject Heading: 2018 REEMS REU Letter of Recommendation for [First Name Last Name]
- Be sure to sign and date your application. I would suggest that when you email your application and supporting materials that you utilize a “read receipt” on your email to insure that the Application has been received. Upon receipt of your application materials, you will receive email notice from the WHC.
ALL MATERIAL, (Application, citizenship status, transcript, and any additional pages in response to Application Questions) WITH THE EXCEPTION FOR LETTERS OF RECOMMENDATION, MUST BE SUBMITTED WITH THE APPLICATION
For further information or inquiries:
Mr. Bartlett M. Sheinberg
REEMS Principal Investigator
West Houston Center for Science & Engineering
2811 Hayes Road
Houston, TX 77082
TIMELINE FOR 2018 REEMS REU
Informational Session Meetings:
Details about the REEMS REU and How Do I Apply?
- Spring 2017 – Dates to Be Announced
- Summer 2017
- August 18, August 25, September 1 and September 8
- 1 – 2 PM
- Location: West Houston Center Office
- Alief Hayes Campus Fourth Floor A.402
- August 18, August 25, September 1 and September 8
Application Due Date
Electronic submission of all materials including letters of support are due no later than 5 pm October 19, 2017 5 PM
Selection of Candidates
Distribution of 2018 REEMS REU Program Agreements
- November 8, 2017
- Agreements signed and returned to West Houston Center by November 14, 2017
Formal Announcement of Selection of 2018 REEMS REU students
- Kick-off Meeting of 2018 REEMS REU students and REEMS research faculty
Saturday December 9, 2017, 11am – 1 pm. Location to be announced