HCC is committed to a workplace and educational environment free of discrimination and harassment based upon race, color, religion, age, sex, gender expression, gender identity, national origin, disability, veteran status, or sexual orientation.
This standing council will advise the Chancellor’s office regarding issues of diversity, equal opportunity and inclusion and facilitate programs and services that meet the changing needs of individuals in a diverse community.
In 2012, the D&I Council, with the support of the Board of Trustees and Chancellor, outlined the following five (5) District D&I Goals for interpretation and implementation by campus constituents and local diversity committee members:
- HCC will promote the exploration and understanding of culture, diversity, and inclusion by providing in-depth training and experiences that promote skills development resulting in cultural competency.
- HCC will support a process for the development of Diversity Resource Groups (DRGs) that engage all stakeholders and affirm the goals of the HCC D&I District Plan.
- HCC will be a champion of accessibility by establishing standards that adhere to both the spirit and letter of the ADA.
- HCC will promote a learning culture that insures teamwork, communication, appreciation and accountability.
- HCC will have a diverse, skilled workforce that strives to reflect the diversity of the community that it serves, and it will provide opportunity and pathways for all employees to grow and advance in their professions.
- David Cross, Director, Office for Institutional Equity
- John Reno, Chair - D&I Council - Enrollment Services Officer - Southeast College
- Laurel Barker-Edwards, Vice-Chair - D&I Council - Executive Secretary, Human Resources – District
- Annette Lott, Enrollment Management Officer – Central College
- Shantae Ford, Faculty, Instruction ABE/GED/ESL – Central College
- Kirk White, Director Health Professions Development Institute – Coleman College
- Jolly Joseph, Faculty, Associate Degree Nursing – Coleman College
- Linda Comte, Instructional Design Coordinator – Northeast College
- Silvia De Garcia, Faculty, Business Management – Northeast College
- Dr. Ilija Gallego, Acting Chair, Psychology, Sociology & Anthropology – Northwest College
- Yvonne Zuniga, Secretary III – Northwest College
- Addie Tsai, Faculty, Developmental Studies – Southeast College
- Dr. Gretchen Jackson, Faculty, History Department – Southwest College
- Emilio Mendoza, Senior Advisor – Southwest College
- Jesse Martinez, HCC Student
- Shantay Grays, Ad Hoc Member, Chief of Staff – District
- Office of Institutional Equity
At least quarterly
Typical Agenda Items:
- Development of an institutional Diversity Plan for HCC
- Advise, recommend and develop strategies for integrating diversity Into the curriculum
- Advise, recommend and develop strategies for recruitment and retention of a diversified faculty, staff and student body
- Promote the development and communication of policies and promote values that discourage intolerance and discrimination
- Identify and promote the development of new programs and strategies designed to enhance the student and employee experience at HCC
Sep 29, 2014
At HCC we care about your health and encourage you to keep it a top priority.