FAQs: About Veteran’s Preference

What is a Veteran’s Preference?

Individuals who qualify for a Veteran’s Employment Preference are entitled to a preference in employment with or appointment to a state agency or institution of higher education over other applicants for the same position who do not have a greater qualification. 

Who’s covered?

A veteran is a person who served in the active military, naval, or air services (including Air National Guard and National Guard) and who was discharged or released under honorable conditions, notwithstanding any action by the United States Department of Veterans Affairs on individual’s discharged or released with other than honorable discharges.

Covered persons, in order of priority are:

  1. A veteran with a disability whose disability is service connected
  2. A veteran
  3. A veteran’s surviving spouse who has not remarried
  4. An orphan of a veteran if the veteran was killed while on active duty

How do I know what positions qualify for a Veteran's Preference?

All positions qualify for a veteran's preference with the exception of student worker and other designated positions. 

Who can I speak to if I have questions regarding the Veteran’s Preference?

You can speak with Readri Epps, hremployment@hccs.edu, 713.718.8573, Employment Manager, Veteran’s Liaison. 

If I have a complaint regarding an employment decision who may I contact?

Chapter 657 of the Texas Government Code provides that an individual entitled to a Veteran’s Employment Preference who is aggrieved by a decision of a State agency or institution, relating to hiring or to retention of the individual in the event of a workforce reduction, may appeal the decision by filing a complaint with the governing body of the agency. Please visit www.texas.gov  and contact the HCC Office of Institutional Equity at Institutional Equity@hccs.edu or call 713-718- 8271.  For more information regarding filing a complaint visit http://www.hccs.edu/district/departments/institutionalequity/