Everything your small business needs to grow
Goldman Sachs 10,000 Small Businesses at Houston Community College is a practical business management education program that helps small business owners develop the skills they need to grow their companies. Participants will receive one-on-one business advising from dedicated professionals to help them develop a tailored plan for growth.
Goldman Sachs 10,000 Small Businesses is a $500 million national program designed to help small businesses in the United State create jobs and economic growth by providing entrepreneurs with a practical business education, access to capital and business support services.
Learn more about the program
Houston Community College, in partnership with Goldman Sachs 10,000 Small Businesses is offering Greater Houston small business owners access to a practical business and management education. Accepted applicants will receive a scholarship from the Goldman Sachs Foundation. The scholarship covers the full cost of tuition and program materials enabling business owners to participate AT NO COST.
Business Owner Commitment
In order to receive maximum benefit from the Goldman Sachs 10,000 Small Businesses education curriculum, business owners are required to:
- Attend a mandatory program orientation
- Attend 11 pre-scheduled learning sessions
- Commit an additional 6–8 hours per week of out-of-class activities to work on your business. This includes completing assignments, attending networking events and business support clinics
- Develop a tailored plan for growth prior to graduation
Practical Business Education
Participants receive a practical business and management education delivered through a partnership between Houston Community College and leading business schools. While enrolled in the program participants develop a customized growth plan for their business.
Access to Capital
Participants are given the opportunity and tools to position their businesses to access loans.
Business Support Services
Participants receive one-on-one business advising from dedicated professionals to help them develop a strategic and tailored plan for growth. Additional support services are offered to participants through partnerships with national and local business organizations, professional services firms and the people of Goldman Sachs.
The curriculum focuses on developing skills that business owners can apply immediately to address the issues most critical to growing their businesses, including:
- Identifying and evaluating business opportunities;
- Understanding and managing the competitive business environment;
- Analyzing financial statements and using them to make management decisions;
- Accessing financial capital; and
- Leading a growing business.
Peer learning is critical to the 10,000 Small Businesses classroom experience and, as a result, coursework is highly collaborative and draws upon the real-world experiences of participating small business owners. Participants will be placed into small Growth Groups and work with their teammates for the duration of the program to explore, practice and implement the knowledge and skills they develop and to seize new business opportunities and overcome common challenges to business growth.
Module 1: You and Your Business
• Understanding entrepreneurial growth
• Introduction to peer learning process
• Introduction of program project: Growth Plan
• Risk analysis: Predictable problems
Module 2: Growth and Opportunity
• Business growth models (stages of development)
• Opportunity identification
• Opportunity creation
• Feasibility analysis-Is it an idea or an opportunity?
Module 3: Money and Metrics
• Construction and understanding of the Financial Statements
• Data analysis to grow your business
• Forecasting to support your growth plans
Module 4: You Are the Leader
• Entrepreneurial leadership
• Stepping out of day‐to‐day operations
• Developing and communicating vision
• Negotiating for growth
Module 5: It’s the People
• Building your team for sustainability
• Creating your culture
• Hiring and retaining the right people
Module 6: Marketing and Selling
• Finding, acquiring, and keeping customers
• Understanding your competition
• Understanding your product’s value
• Preparing and delivering a sales pitch
• Social media and your marketing plan
Module 7: Strategic Growth Through Operations
• Operational audits
• Mapping your business processes
• Operations that create or destroy customer value
• Making everything run
Module 8: Being Bankable
• Sources of capital
• Forecasts and the funds you need
• Building bank relationships
• Creating and maintaining credit
• Business valuation
• Getting to know possible resource providers
Module 9: Putting it All Together
• Who else do you need?
• Exit strategies
• Finalizing the plan
• Action steps and commitments
• Sharing your Growth Plan
Who should apply
- Applicant must be an owner or co-owner of a business
- Business in operation for at least two years
- Business revenues between $150,000 and $4.0 million in the most recent fiscal year
- Business with a minimum of four employees
Applications for Goldman Sachs 10,000 Small Businesses are accepted via rolling submissions, with priority being on a first come, first served basis. Applications for the next 10,000 Small Businesses class at Houston Community College are due on October 22, 2014 for the Spring 2015 session due to start on January 28, 2015.
Four ways to apply
BY FAX: Download the editable 10KSB Application PDF and fax to (713) 718-2032. Note: Please include a cover page addressed to: Cathy Landry Executive Director, 10,000 Small Businesses, Houston Community College
BY MAIL: Download the editable 10KSB Application PDF and mail to:
Houston Community College
Cathy Landry, Executive Director 10,000 Small Businesses
1010 W. Sam Houston Pkwy. N. CA1
Houston, TX 77043
By Hand, In Person
BY HAND, IN PERSON: Download the editable 10KSB Application PDF and deliver to: Houston Community College Cathy Landry, Executive Director,10,000 Small Businesses, 1010 W. Sam Houston Pkwy. N. CA1
Houston, TX 77043.
Office hours M-F: 9:00am – 5:00pm. Closed holidays.